Is NOW the time to join the Military?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
navhnt said:
This is pretty silly but just to clarify what I said... Civilian flight time/ratings is most definitely a plus when you are in training. You will obviously be ahead of the average person off the street. However, to the best of my knowledge, there is no place on your application to the military that says "please enter your civilian flight time and ratings." ...NAVHNT

The air force wants to know all about your prior flying. A few years ago, when the T3 program folded they tried just sending people off the street to UPT, and it was a disaster.

Now the Air Force will buy your private license if you don't already have one prior to UPT, and will pay you to get a BFR if you are not current.

Even mere navigator students are being sent off to get their PPL before nav school!

The USAF puts a lot of stock in prior flying.

Jim

This is a really big can of worms but here goes... The military training system can teach anybody to fly. The vast majority of people who wash out are people who can't take the constant pressure of the system, we all know that. Very few people lack the physical skills to actually fly. The whole emphasis on previous flight time comes from the "it's not my fault" mentality that dominates our society. In order to cut down on normal attrition in the training process, the military looked at exposing people to the flight experience before they began training, which explains JimNtexas' post. I completely disagree with your contention that prior time is the only correlation to success in UPT. Most of the pilots I know had little to no civilian experience and we are doing just fine. Again, civilian flight experience is a big plus (I wish I had some when I got started) It is NOT a requirement.

I have been out of the application process for quite awhile so hopefully others can chime in but I still think that at least for the Navy, there is no block on the application that asks for civilian experience. There are no "points" for flight time and ratings. While it is most definitely a plus, I really don't think it factors into the application process.

NAVHNT

Flight hours on application

Flight hours do count on certain parts of the application.

For AF applicants, flight hours are used in conjuntion with AFOQT "pilot" section scores and the results of the BAT test to determine an applicant's PCSM score.

In my Guard interview, my flight experience definately helped me get the job. My experience as a CFI was also discussed quite a bit. I doubt the pilots on the board used my flight experience as an indicator of my ability to fly an F-16, but I think it did help to show a certain level of commitment.

I think that NAVHNT is probably right about flight time previous to UPT not making a difference in the long run. I know that's why they call the T-38 "The Great Equalizer". I haven't been to UPT yet (still waiting), but I would venture to bet that my previous flight experience won't do me a bit of good after a few months there.

Re: Flight hours on application

Flaco said:
I think that NAVHNT is probably right about flight time previous to UPT not making a difference in the long run. I know that's why they call the T-38 "The Great Equalizer". I haven't been to UPT yet (still waiting), but I would venture to bet that my previous flight experience won't do me a bit of good after a few months there.

As a former IP, I can tell you, past flight time made very little difference, and in some cases, worked against you. Without fail, the guys who did best in UPT were the ones who wanted it the most, and worked their tails off, no matter what their background was. Also, the T-38 was the great equalizer, IMHO. Its too bad not every student gets to fly it these days.

As a former IP, I can tell you, past flight time made very little difference, and in some cases, worked against you

The air force wants to know all about your prior flying. A few years ago, when the T3 program folded they tried just sending people off the street to UPT, and it was a disaster

Both correct...and the big stink now is that no AF candidate starts without at least 40 hours and a private...Joint training has implemented Navy/Marine Corps, with no previous time, into the same pipeline at AF bases, and they have seen increased attrition because of it.

The AF recognizes that previous flying time will help initially, but as previously stated...it usually merges at some point, and the high time guys become a number like the rest and ability will take over. My best students have all had prior time...and humility to go with it.

Come on in and blow sh!t up. Gas is much cheaper on the inside. (Thanx taxpayers)

I dont know if I believe the "prior flight experience wont help one bit in the application process". That simply cant be true.

prior time

One way that prior time can work against you in Navy Primary training is the Navy's accelerated syllabus. It used to be, if you entered the Navy with XXX civilian hours (not sure of the exact number), each of your first several events will cover 2 flights worth of information. That put some guys at a disadvantage from a grading standpoint (grades determine what you select: jets vs. props vs. helos). I'm not sure if this system is still in place. The navy is now paying for students to get their private before starting navy ground school here in P'cola.

Navy pre-program

The Navy is not exactly paying for their private...25 hours from a CFI in light civils, whether they solo or not.

shootr

Re: Re: Flight hours on application

That just simply isn't true. If that were true then airlines would hire people who have never flown before so they wouldn't have any bad habits to unlearn. There is a reason why airlines want experienced pilots.

Remember the first time you hit a golf ball or drove a car? Well, you made lots of mistakes and you probably weren't all that good at it. Now you are because your experience allows you to anticipate what is going to happen so you are prepared for it when it does. To say that isn't important in flight training is ludicrous.

michael707767 said:
As a former IP, I can tell you, past flight time made very little difference, and in some cases, worked against you. Without fail, the guys who did best in UPT were the ones who wanted it the most, and worked their tails off, no matter what their background was. Also, the T-38 was the great equalizer, IMHO. Its too bad not every student gets to fly it these days.

Well, I agree with Michael. Prior flight time usually makes LITTLE difference in flight school. The prior flight time I'm talking about is usually 25 to 50 hours, which is not much. Any advantage by these students is only realized during the first few flights, if at all.

Those coming to flight school with significant experience are often a different story. I have seen some students with commercial licenses and an instrument card, a few even with 1000+ hours. These students usually did not have to work as hard (especially on instruments) and did well but still didn't end up with the top grades (nor the bottom). If I had to come up with a top 5 list of students I have seen (based on performance), only 1 of them had any prior flight time. It really comes down to natural ability and desire.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back