Is NOW the time to join the Military?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK

Well great. At your next interview try explaining to them that you have real raw talent, lots of aptitude and a boatload of desire, so you really don't need much time or experience.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Airlines don't waste expensive training slots on inexperienced pilots for a reason. It's been tried.

Michael Knight said:
Well, I agree with Michael. Prior flight time usually makes LITTLE difference in flight school. The prior flight time I'm talking about is usually 25 to 50 hours, which is not much. Any advantage by these students is only realized during the first few flights, if at all.

Those coming to flight school with significant experience are often a different story. I have seen some students with commercial licenses and an instrument card, a few even with 1000+ hours. These students usually did not have to work as hard (especially on instruments) and did well but still didn't end up with the top grades (nor the bottom). If I had to come up with a top 5 list of students I have seen (based on performance), only 1 of them had any prior flight time. It really comes down to natural ability and desire.

upt not airlines

This thread is about UPT requirements not airline hiring. What Delta is looking for has very little to do with what the Navy or Air
Force is looking for. Majors want experienced, accomplished pilots. Military UPT programs want motivated, intelligent students who are willing to learn the Navy way. Reread the thread, Clownpilot, I don't think what the majors are looking for has anything to do with what this thread is discussing.

Desire is more important than experience

I only had about 20 hours of flight time before I went to UPT. If you want to serve your country and endure true hardship, I believe desire probably outweighs experience. Just my opinion.

Ya'll take care,

SR

....back to the original question...

Don't use the military as a means to an end. It doesn't sound like you are ready (your own words) for the commitment. You are a sailor first, pilot second. blah blah blah....this has been gone over a bunch o' times.

Chunk

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back