Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoDEAN

Cabo Wabo Express
I was talking to my father the other night, and he asked me "Why don't you join the military, or the reserves?" I told him I never really thought about it. I guess I am not up for a long comitment and don't want to be stationed overseas. He told me since I have a BS degree in Aviation Science, 400 total hours, Commercial/Instrument rated ASEL/AMEL, that I would be a prime candidate for getting into the military and buidling hours.

Has anyone gone this route, when being in similar shoes as myself?

:confused:

"I guess I am not up for a long comitment and don't want to be stationed overseas"

If you WANT to be a military pilot, then the commitment shouldn't play much of a factor. If you WANT to be a UAL pilot who get's his/her experience from the military, then perhaps it is. I joined the military in 1992, and at the time I was planning on "doing my time" and getting out. Here I am, 10 (almost 11) years later.

I'm wondering why you wouldn't want to be stationed overseas? Are you married? That would really be the only reason that I could understand. I lived in Germany as a kid, and went back to Italy for a 3 week TDY. Currently, an accompanied overseas tour is on the top of my assignment preference sheet. Living and working in another country is a challenge in the respect that you must overcome and get used to living a different way, and you'll definitely get homesick for a good old American cheeseburger, but the benefits you get from seeing things from a different viewpoint, and all the experiences you'll have are enormous, and very much worth it.

If you're afraid of leaving family and friends, here's the truth: they'll still be there when you get back. If they aren't, they weren't good friends to begin with. And nothing's going to stop you from taking 2 weeks of leave and catching a Space-A flight back to the States to visit with Mom and Dad. I've met a few other people who are international-phobic as you claim you are, and it simply boggles my mind. They are missing a huge chance to experience something great, and they are simply too close-minded to realize it.

"...that I would be a prime candidate for getting into the military and buidling hours. "

Building hours for an airline career later in life is simply an added benefit. But if you're joining the military for that sole purpose, you'll hate your job and quite frankly, won't do the military a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** bit of good.

The military is not an employment agency. It does not exist to provide career training. It exists to employ combat and mobility power anywhere the people of the United States see fit. There is no union. There is no such thing as tailoring your schedule to fit your own personal priorities. If they want you in Afghanistan during your 10 year wedding anniversary, then your wife will be alone and you'll be flying around the dustbowl on that day. If the Air Force wants you to fly your aircraft to Ramstein for a stage on your daughter or son's birthday, then you'll just have to celebrate their birthday early or late, your choice.

Here are the Air Force core values, and I'd read them carefully:

1. Integrity First

2. Service Before Self

3. Excellence in all you do

If you're generally a good kid, #1 will take care of itself. But #2 and #3 requires a good gut check before you sign yourself up. If you're joining the military just to build time for UAL or AA, then you're going to have a hard time fullfilling the requirements of Nos. 2 and 3.

I'm not trying to bash you or tell you that you can't hack it, but just from reading your post, it makes me wonder whether or not you need to bother with the military. Make service to your country more important than getting that airline job and I'd welcome you just like any of the other newbies.

I second what HueyPilot posted. Additionally, the military could care less about your civilian ratings. You will get no benefit in the application process from civilian ratings and/or flight time. In fact, lots of civilian time can be a double edged sword in military training. While it will obviously give you a leg up in the early phases over people who have done little flying, I have seen it work against people as they think they already know how to fly and don't need to work hard in training. Military training is specific to the way we do business, while the basics never change there are differences and some people have a tough time adapting.

NAVHNT

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy

Do you know why AF pilots are so hard over on pilot rest? Because the AF is notorious for hammering pilots involved in a mishap when the pilot is at fault. If a pilot busts pilot rest and subsequently is involved in a mishap he will be found casual. Career over!

Speaking of mishaps, shall we discuss Naval mishap rates vs. AF mishap rates? You don't want to go there.

The term "sleep when you're dead" should only apply when you're in Las Vegas!

navhnt said:
Additionally, the military could care less about your civilian ratings. You will get no benefit in the application process from civilian ratings and/or flight time. ...

That's not true. Prior civilian flying is a definate plus for a UPT applicant, because that's the only thing that can be shown to correlate with sucess at UPT. It will certainly break a tie. I'm pretty sure it is factored in the actual numerical scoring system.

My understanding is that when you are actually in UPT you have to forget your prior flying experience in order for your prior flying experience to help you at UPT.

I third what HueyPilot posted. I would not recommend the military just as a job or a place to fly. Certainly the active force is a terrible place for someone who isn't willing to move a lot.

The Air Guard is just about the best deal in aviation, you might want to look into that.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
I guess my initial post came off differently from how I intended it to. I see a gap, or 5+ years before having any chance with a major airline. Between then and now, hours will have to be built. I was told the Military was one route to go. I would not join the military, not caring about anything but building hours. That is not my intent at all.

you'll be in more than 5 years

The commitment after wings used to be 7 years for all Navy and 8 years for jet pilots and I think it is still at least that long. If you are just looking for the next 5 years, probably the military isn't the place. But if you are willing to do 9 years, then you are in the ballpark. Usually your flight training will take 18 months to 2 years until you have wings on your chest, at which point you'll owe uncle sam either 7 or 8 years (these maybe slightly different/longer now, not sure, probably Patmark or some of those guys know). I'd recommend it, I enjoyed my time but it isn't all about the flying. Study up on it, research the services, talk to guys you know who have served, and if you still think you want to be a military pilot, by all means, get the ball rolling.

Prior flight experience is a plus! How could it not be?? You already know how to fly. You just need to break your old flying habits and learn the military way. I fly for a part 91 corporation. When I go to the airlines I will have to break all of my habits they dont like and learn their way or I'm history.

Hello,
Here is what the essence of being a military aviator is all about, and I'll paraphrase it here; A very distraught young P-51 pilot called his lead to say that he had a massive formation of Luftwafee fighters in sight. His grizzled commander replied, "Rejoice Laddie thats what we're here for" To me this is what flying in the military is all about. It may sound old-fashioned, it might even be corny, HOWEVER, the words Duty, Honor, Country should be the most important words that anyone in the military knows. Moreover, it is of paramount importance to those that fly in the military.
Personally, if I knew the primary motivating factor for why they are flying in the military was to "enrich" their resume for a post-military flying career. Well, I wouldn't cross the street to piss on him if he were on fire. This might sound VERY inflammatory, but the main reason for the military's existence is simple...To kill people before they kill you or your comrades in arms while completing your objective.
I sugges to anyone that reads this that looks at the military as a means to an end that they go elsewhere. I have NO PROBLEM with someone that flies in the military and moves on to so-called, "bigger and better" things, but a young man or woman with aforementioned motivation to be a military aviator will not have what it takes to be a leader of other warriors. I've flown with these types and just about everyone of them was about .99 cents short of a dollar when it came to looking out for the troops, in particular his enlisted crew and was often in the bottom 1/3 of pilots in the squadron.
As a further example, I know an AF reserve (home-grown) KC-10 pilot that ONLY wanted to be an AF pilot, so she could land a cushy job with UAL or AA someday. Well, thats just great, but when I said, wouldn't you rather fly F-16s given the choice? Her reply was, No...It's not a comfortable way to fly!!!Can you believe that attitude from a USAF officer? What the hell happened to the axiom, "Every Man(woman, to be PC) a Tiger".
Well, I've had my tirade...Nothing personal against the original posting, good luck and FLY NAVY if you must fly military. The best always have!

Regards,

ex-Navy rotorhead

This is pretty silly but just to clarify what I said... Civilian flight time/ratings is most definitely a plus when you are in training. You will obviously be ahead of the average person off the street. However, to the best of my knowledge, there is no place on your application to the military that says "please enter your civilian flight time and ratings." I was just trying to say that you will not get some sort of preferential treatment in the application process because of your civilain experience. Not trying to discourage anybody, just stating the facts.

NAVHNT

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back