Is NetJets a career place?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

V1 Rotate

Before all you guys start yelling at me, I have read all the recent threads and posts about NJA. I just want to ask this one specific question: I'm 4 years with a regional and am looking to make one more career move, if possible. Are you guys working at NJA because it's a job that just came along and you took it or are you plannng to stay there for quite sometime? Will NJA be around still, say, in 15-20 years?

I'm planning on staying here. Just about the only thing that I would leave for would be FedEx. Since I don't know anyone there, that's probably not gonna happen.

Any good rumors on how many they plan to hire in the future? What abuot pay during training and lodging? Where is training? Do they still airline you to and from your base?

While we wait for the NJ pilots to answer, I'll do my best. My husband does consider NJ to be a career that he plans to keep, now that he can afford to stay. Being able to fly past age 60 is an attractive advantage to those who'd have kids in college at that time. Something to think about. I've heard they'll hire up to 500 total this year, so many more to go. Basic company training is in CMH. Depending on the fleet, sims could be elsewhere such as Dallas. You're paid during training and the hotel is covered. New hires are assigned, now, to one of 5 cities...CMH, LAX, PBI, TEB, DAL. I agree that the cities are too expensive for the still too low FO wages--sorry about that. It's the pilot's responsibility to show to the domicile. Hope that helps. Good luck with your decision. NJW

V1

I'm coming from a National Airline too and right know I think this place is a career move. The only placese I would consider going would be Alaska however, I dont know anyone there so that probably wont happen. I have alot of friends that went to jetblue and for the life of me I wouldnt want to go there. I think your gonna see alot of movement in the next 5 years since we hired alot of retired airline guys that are only here til the can collect medicare. The pay is pretty good if you go to the RSV sched. and work say 8 of the 10 paid holidays you should easily make 60K your first year here. Medical is free no crash pad or airport car so that all money you save. Most of the pople that you fly with are pretty cool however, like anyplace there's always a few idiots.

My husband's interest in JetBlue has waned over the years. He now says that he would choose NJA over them. The Reserve Schedule is an improvement over the former Flex Schedule. If you're new to NJ, Pop, I'd like to say "Welcome", in case I missed you earlier. I'm relieved to hear you can cope with the low FO pay. I feel badly that those wages weren't increased more in the new contract. Next time, there won't be so much lost ground to make up so I think the pilots have a good chance at fixing that problem.

PILOTS ARE PROFESSIONALS AND SHOULD BE COMPENSATED ACCORDINGLY

I am planning on staying. Came here a few years ago because I was sick of 121 commuters. Had no real plan on the distant future. A lot depended on the contract. Now, I plan on staying here till I retire. 30 years left God willing.

I have NO desire to go back to 121 land. Even if every airline was hiring and paying the big bucks. I would stay. There are a few things left to deal with in the next CBA, but if those get fixed (HBA's) I would be very happy.

This is a good company. Screwed up in many ways, but what company isn't.

Here's a good example of just one of the tangible differences that the contract has made for my family. Last Saturday night as we drove to the community theater to watch a play, instead of just being thankful that we could afford 4 tickets, my husband said we had enough money to check into being sponsors. Apparently, we could use the tax deduction this year. Wow, what a turn around from last year. My husband had always liked the flying better than his short career at AA (prior to 9/11). It was just the contract that would have prevented him from staying. Now he considers NJA to be a career, not just a job.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Domicile System fails on its own merits, or lack thereof, and that pilots don't have to wait for the next round of negotiating. It's definitely one of those "wait and see issues", as well as being one of the few drawbacks to the CBA. My sympathies to all the affected new hire families. NJW

It's all a crap shoot. Nobody can read the future. Are things okay today? Yes.

Is there room for improvement? Definately.

Will this place actually last another 10 years? No way to know.

I for one don't consider being able to or actually having to, work past 60 a career place. NJA will need to pay us a lot more after the next contract if you expect to not be working past 60. My personal goal is 55. I'm saving every damned penny I make here to meet that goal. It's still painful. But it's the way I live.

Thanks for all the feedback guys (and gal). I really appreciate it. That would be nice if that statement about 60K is true, on a steady basis. I'm sure someone has done, but is it normal??? How long does the reserve normally last? Dare I ask about upgrade time? I'm not getting any younger here!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back