Is it worth a type rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Meiguy

If someone told you they would hire you for a part-time co-pilot gig flying a lear/citation would you take it. The catch, however, is that you have to pay for your simcom/flightsaftey training. No contracts, just basically a contract pilot. No guarantee on the pay or number of hours received. Nothing fulltime or regualar about this job but some jet time would accumulate eventually for sure and the potential of a full time position could arise later if you do this. Now for all you that say yes without a doubt, throw in the debt you already have, which lets say is somewhat significant but is well on the way to being repaid would you still say yes.

well I hope your're not gonna pay for both airplanes. That's going to cost you almost 20,000 dollars. If you are in debt I'd pick one, the cheaper one probably. But is says you are already a 135 SIC on your profile. If thats true, maybe you dont want to spend the money. Does your company have other aircraft in which you can fly? If so, maybe you want to stick it out.

My .02 cents

It is my general opinion that first-class reputable companies do not place these expectations on a prospective employee. IF the company has a bonified need for an employee, then they need to assume the repsonsibility to adequately train that employee.

If the company only needs an qualifed PT employee from time to time, I am sure they are aware of the resourses availalble to use a contract person.

PFT lowers the standard for everyone.

Is this a serious question?

Say it aint so.

I think simple mathematics applies here:

Citation Initial at Flight Safety : ~10,000
Per Day pay for a 1000 hour pilot in the right seat: ~350
That's almost 30 trips to cover the training - without paying rent, food, beer, etc......
With no guarantee/promise/contract you're about to get screwed by someone who has a leg up on you. Tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine. There are better gigs out there!!!!!!

Don't do it man, it hurts us all.......

Latest resources

Back