Is it 1992 or 2002?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

eyelevelflyer

As we all know times have changed. I received my Private in 1992 and then put my aviation career on hold. Many reason's including money and the long road I saw my Commercial friend's were on.
Now forward to 2000, I saw aviation on an upswing I went back to aviation, and I was ready to blast thru my rating's and CFI for 8 months and get hired with 800TT. Well, due to the economy and 9/11 we are back to the way it was. I know, nobody including me is happy about it. I also accept it, now were back to 2+ year Flight Instructors which is good for everyone as far as having good CFI's. To sum things up, we all must take a step back and then charge forward. The best reason to do this is to do what we all love, and sometimes hate, for being a pilot is all that we know.

Back To The Future

The subject line of your post says it all. Read some of my other posts. I was there, too, having changed careers, going nowhere, and hitting some major potholes along the way. Really, things now are very much like they were in 1992, except that during the good times back then you really needed far more than 800 hours to get hired. Just change some of the airline names, from Eastern, Pan Am, etc.

Try to hang in. As you pointed out, things will get better because they always do.

Last edited:
You have got to plan for the future and hope for the best. Unless you have a crystal ball, timing in this and any other industry is mainly based on luck. Don't wait until there is a boom in the industry to start attaining your credentials - it will be too late. Be ready for the next "boom" by being in a competitive position. I also understand one must eat - not easy starting out in this business. Also don't believe you have to prostitute yourself to attain your credentials on a fast track. Time (in years) and experience are their own reward if not in dollars. Keep at it if you want it and can afford the sacrifices, but the reality is not everyone who comes down the pike will be able to attain a career in aviation. There are worst things that could happen. Good luck.

Re: Back To The Future

bobbysamd said:
The subject line of your post says it all. Read some of my other posts. I was there, too, having changed careers, going nowhere, and hitting some major potholes along the way. Really, things now are very much like they were in 1992, except that during the good times back then you really needed far more than 800 hours to get hired. Just change some of the airline names, from Eastern, Pan Am, etc.

Try to hang in. As you pointed out, things will get better because they always do.

Bobbysamd is right on.... things go in a cycle and we are definately looking like the very early 90's again... Yes, things are different... now we have RJ's and Scope clauses... last time we had Beech 1900's and PFT....

The more things change the more they stay the same...

Good luck to all!

Latest resources

Back