Is he Drunk??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Habib

I have a friend that just got a job offer from another ( very ) rich friend that just bought a King Air C90, my friend says that he has about 900TT and 150 multi, w/ no Turbine Time. They have not checked into insurance yet, even if he goes to Sim some where will any insurance pick him up? They will be running the King Air Part 91 Single Pilot. What would be some solid mins?

USAIG and AIG are the two heavy hitters when it comes to writing policies for turbine powered equipment.

Pilot experience is one the the biggest factors underwriters use when determining risk.

The first thing the pilots need to due is make contact with an aviation insurance broker and get a Pilot experience summary form filled out and submitted to the underwriters.

You will then know what you are up against.

IMO, if the PIC of this plane has only 900 tt and NO turbine, very little ME time, and obviously NO time in type, s/he will find insurance VERY expensive, if it can be gotten at all.

Additionally, underwriters tend to even more restrictive on policy issues when writing them for a "new" operator.

Good luck

Ditto

if he can get insurance anywhere, it's not going to be single-pilot anytime soon. Plan on flying with a contract pilot for a while...

That is what I told him and his rich buddy, anyone got an I dea what would be some ballpark #'S.

Dude, you can't ballpark this sort of thing, as far as pricing goes. What will ULTIMATELY determine what he pays for insurance is based on WAY to many factors to be able to "ballpark" it for you...

Likely, the underwriter will look at the qualifications and experience level of who they approve as PIC. Which WILL NOT be your friend.

Other factors which will also come into play is the value of the airplane and the limits in liability the insured chooses to have. For example, you're going to pay a bunch more money annually for 100 million in liablity while operating a plane with a hull value of 3 million bucks, vs. carrying 5 million liability on a plane worth 500 grand.

The principle needs to determine what liability limits are appropriate for them.

This is a unique case, as 900 hr pilots don't typically go out and buy King Air's. GET an insurance agent involved NOW. The stuff you get off this board is of little use for you at this point.

But if it's examples you're looking for, here is mine.

Aircraft... 22 year old small jet. Insured for 1.7 million.

Professionially flow.
Both pilots ATP/type rated with a combined TT of about 20,000 hrs.
Greater than half of that in turbojet aircaft.
Annual training consistently for the past 12 years.
PIC has 3000 IN TYPE, mostly as PIC.
NO accidents, incidents, DUI's or LOI's.
Airline experienced. 135 experienced.
Aircraft hangared and operated 91 only.
Annual sim training.
Liability limits are 100 million.

Annual policy cost is just under 40 grand.

there you go!

I hate to say it, but in today's insurance environment, your friend will not be covered. Our KA pilots all have 2000-4000 hours and simulator training. We are now having to hire FO's as our underwriter will not longer allow single-pilot operations. Part 91 operators are experiencing the same issues. For budgeting purposes, your friend is going to have to recieve sim training, and plan on hiring an experienced contract guy or gal to ride herd for a while. After your friend has 500 in type or so, an FO could be hired to replace the contract person. SIngle-pilot operations by less than extraordinarilly experienced pilots is simply not insurable.

900 Hours

This guy has no business in that airplane. We will only be reading about another dead rich guy in the future.

Sorry to say.

I don't believe so. A 90 is a very forgiving aircraft. Personally I feel it is easier to fly than the Bonanza. While it may be difficult to get coverage in his situation, it will not be impossible. It will take time and there will be a list of requirements and restrictions. We operate Cheyennes and CE421s. It is easier to get our pilots on the Cheyenne than it is the 421. His being a Part 91 operation will help to a degree.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I don't believe so. A 90 is a very forgiving aircraft. Personally I feel it is easier to fly than the Bonanza."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't think so huh. Go back about two years ago to the accident in Nashville where an owner operator had an engine failure on T/O and did not make it back to the airport in VMC. These operators are not just hazards to themselves, they endanger the pax and other opperators.

Latest resources

Back