• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is ASA Any Good??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you get SLC in your first few years you will be on reserve for quite a while (as things sit now). Saying that you will HATE commuting on reserve at ASA. You only get 10 days off a month on only 4 of those are something that the company can't move. This company has NOTHING that helps the commuter. They don't like them.
In ATL you will hold a line much faster and it might even be easier to commute that way. Either way it will suuck to commute to PHX.

Hi

Some poeple say that the ASA contract sucks. I checked on airplinepilotpay.com and the first year pay rate is a little lower than most airlines but the second year looks very good. So what things are wrong in the contract?
2) is the most junior base atlanta?
3) where is SLC?

at this level...IMHO pick the airline that suits your needs best. Pinnacle, Expressjet, ASA, Comair, Skywest, Chihuahua, and Mesa (ok,maybe not Mesa) are all cut out of the same cookie cutter. Things to love and hate about all of them. Upgrade at ASA is 4 years and shrinking...where do you guys get the info that its 4 years and growing? I upgraded in 4 years 9/11 and all...and the way we are loosing pilots...i think it will be a 3 year upgrade soon. Scheduling sucks...but isn't that the problem everywhere? I just flew with an FO that was at Mesa and he had some horror stories that made ASA seem like a walk in the park. Flew with another guy who flew for Colgan...and once again (even though it sucks) it was not as bad as what those guys go through. Pick your poison i guess...love what you do and work to live not live to work. I can also tell you mood changes here all the time...if we ever get a contract, i bet a lot of bitching will end...until the next contract. Does ASA have problems? yes, probably the same problems all the others face at some point or another. SLC is probably the place to be...reserve you don't fly...far from the GO...kind of like what DFW was.

saviboy said:
3) where is SLC?

HA HA HA... it's in Utah.

If the company treated the crews with respect and quit violating the contract this place would run so much better. Management has taken an adversarial role and has decided that the bottom line is all that matters, without realizing that treating employees with respect would come back to them ten fold in terms of productivity.

Last edited:
As of now, yes. But I will only be ATL based for 3 months, then out to SLC. There is more movement in ATL and you'll hold a line sooner there. In SLC you'll be on reserve once you do get it. How long you sit on reserve obviously hinges on how much/fast they expand in SLC.

Any ideas or rumors out there about when a new contract might be coming forth at ASA? Also, how long has the current contract been in effect? I've seen all the threads on what the pilot group would like to have implemented in the new contract, and I hope it happens. I start class on July 25th, and just wondering as a new hire would all the potential changes to the contract, if they happen, apply to my lowly-a$$ seniority? Do new contracts typically exclude new-hires from a certain DOH in regards to some of the new benefits/policies? My better senses tell me that the pilot group would not agree to a contract unless all involved got to have their cake and eat it too. Or should I not worry about any of this because a new contract will not happen until heck freezes over?

Spinplate- We have a pretty good group here! I am flying with a crew that makes my job cake! Actually enjoy coming to work!
Our contract is old and is being negotiated (still not that bad). But, we are a growing company and will get an industry leading contract. I will not sign anything less and everyone I have talked to thinks the same!
Our travel benes are awesome! Probably the best in the industry.
So, now would be a good time to get in! Best guess is first quarter of next year for a settled contract. fLY SAFE

No idea when the new contract will come. It looks like another year the way things are going at the moment. The current contract was signed 9/15/1998 and became amendable on 9/15/2002.

I don't think anyone at ASA would vote for a contract that didn't include all pilots on the senioirty list. I know I wouldn't.

Comin-In-Hot said:
Any ideas or rumors out there about when a new contract might be coming forth at ASA? Also, how long has the current contract been in effect? I've seen all the threads on what the pilot group would like to have implemented in the new contract, and I hope it happens. I start class on July 25th, and just wondering as a new hire would all the potential changes to the contract, if they happen, apply to my lowly-a$$ seniority? Do new contracts typically exclude new-hires from a certain DOH in regards to some of the new benefits/policies? My better senses tell me that the pilot group would not agree to a contract unless all involved got to have their cake and eat it too. Or should I not worry about any of this because a new contract will not happen until heck freezes over?

you'll get all the cake we get...bring a fork.....welcome aboard.:)

Latest resources

Back