Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saabtrash

I suck.
Gonna go see if I can't find some leprichans in a couple weeks. Probably going to try to non-rev on Aer Lingus, wondering if anyone has any advice on what airline to take, where to go, etc. Probalby going to go to Dublin and a few other cities. Thanks dudes.

Word up,

I've spent a lot of time in Shannon (County Clare, near Limerick) during layovers flying the C-40 for the Navy on my way to Europe and the Middle East. It's in the southwest corner of the country and absolutely fantastic. Many carriers fly into Shannon including Continental and USAirways (I think). We stay at either the Limerick Ryan hotel (great location for restaurants/food/shopping) or the Bunratty Castle Hotel, which I prefer. The Bunratty is right across the street from the actual castle that has a fantastic "Midieval Times" type dinner show (with all you can eat, mead, etc.) right inside the ancient castle. Dirty Nelly's Irish bar is right next door as well. You'll never find a more incredible experience in Ireland. It's right on the River Shannon and filled with Irish piano bar singing, Guinness, etc. The Irish are great folks as well. Since it's the Republic of Ireland they are sorta neutral (unlike the Northern Ireland/Belfast/UK/IRA deal) and fun to talk to. VERY American friendly. It's probably one of my top five favorite places in the world and I've been pretty much everywhere. I've also heard that Dublin is a great place to visit although I've never been there. PM me if you want more info. Have fun!

flynAAvy

Dublin pretty much rocks. Lots of good drinking to be had there for sure. And you might not expect it, but the women in the city are hot!

Everything in Dublin is pretty cool, the Guinness Storehouse, Old Jameson Distllery, The Jail/Museum (Kilhaman Goal, I think). All the good partying takes place in the old part of the city called Temple Bar, you can't go wrong there.

As far as taking an "excursian", I took an all day bus tour that went to a place called Glandalough and then to Killkenny, it was worth it.

If you have the time, buy an all day pass on the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit), I think it was about 8 or 9 euros. It runs up and down the coast and makes stops in all the suburban town/villages. You can get off, explore the local town/castle, then get back on and go to the next one.

Three of the coolest towns are south on the DART. Hoth, Dalkey, and Brae. Dalky is where Bono and a few F1 race car drivers live. Lot's of money.

Enjoy.

Don't forget the North!!!! We are just as friendly as the Southerners, and like them, only have problems amongst ourselves, no problems to tourists.

If you like golf: Royal Portrush - is on the North Antrim Coast, and a very challenging course. (you'll understand why we drink so much after playing a round there)

If you like other stuff - Marble Arch Caves in County Fermanagh, smaller version of the Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, but you get to take a boat through it, really cool.

Go for a drive along the coast roads, really spectacular views etc.

If you like small towns - I went with my wife to West Port. I remember that the bars in town are always packed, lots of fun, and if you drink too much, they have rooms upstairs for you to stay in. Its on the west coast of Ireland. In some parts (esp West) the signs are in Gaelic, with no english, and you'll have a hard time understanding them without a written guide.

Last edited:
Belfast

I spent a day in Belfast. Toured Bushmill's distillary and the Giant's Causeway.

Lot's of fun, very interesting, I'd recommend it. Dress like you would in Seattle, flannel if you must, but prepared for rain.

Have a great time. We are warm people. Forget the North, NEVER! TIOCFAIDH AR LA!
Piss on Bushmill, go Jameson!

Latest resources

Back