Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WHAT?

Albie,

First go back and read my post in response to Delta 3 speculating about an airwar. Read it very carefully. Did I once say we were going to "kick butt." I reread my post five times and I cannot see how anyone can defer that.

When someone uses an "if" means first I doubt we will engage Iraq and secondly I pray we don't have to.

It is a fact that a large percentage of the Iraqi Air Force flew their airplanes to Iran.

Secondly its a fact that the current administration believes in the overwhelming force policy and I don't see that changing?

No I did not serve in the military, but many friends did and I spent many a night on my knees praying for them and their families.

How dare you for assuming and blasting me as someone who thumps their chest while others go off and serve. Everytime I meet a veteran of ANY service when we finish the conversation, I hold the handshake a little longer, look them directly in the eye and thank them for serving.

I pray we find a peaceful way to remove political leaders who are a danger to peace in the region and when they cross a line, that those that have serve our country have every tool and support that they need.

I thank you for serving, but I would be very careful about lecturing based on misreading posts.

Humble

HP,

No offense to you intended...it was not your post that concerned me. I am not mocking you when I say the guys over there appreciate your kind of support. I mentioned you only as the most recent poster on the board...not a direct attack on your comments personally. I certainly appreciated the many cards and letters I got back in 1991 from people with words like yours.

My concern is that too many people think this will be easy, quick, and "just like last time". The latter comment concerns me the most, because although our campaign was very successful there were still some lives lost. As another board contributer said, when you try to turn war into a video game you forget that real lives get lost in the process. I had a front row seat during the ground war last time, and I was glad it only lasted four days and turned out as well as it did. I don't want to speculate on what another campaign would involve, but I am willing to bet it would be much messier than the tank battles across the open desert that dominated the ground action in 1991.

Again...I didn't mean to sound condescending...I just wanted to emphasize how "REAL" this war could become. Please accept my apologies.

Albie

I didn't mean to belittle a war.

I read Colin Powell's biography and totally agree when he said that the US military isn't just some chess piece that you move around a map, there are actually people in that organization.

Even when there are no wars people die in training accidents and mothers and fathers miss birthdays and special events. I totally respect all the members of the US military, in fact I hope to be one in the next few years.

I also agree that a new war with Iraq won't be like the one in 1991. I'm sure that Saddam will pull out all the stops if it looks like he will be killed or removed from power.

What I meant in my original post was that I believed the USAF could defeat the Iraqi air force without much harm. But I agree that one kia is too many.

I guess I was being a little short sighted. Someone on this forum (AlbieF15?) was saying that he was actually in Saudi Arabia participating in ONOW and OSOW. I'll step back and let those members speak about the meaning of a potential war.

No problem

Albie,

Apology accepted. I now see you wanted to say something in general and unintentionally directed at me.

This "war" became very real to me when three work friends were slaughtered. It became very real when I proudly put on the same uniform they were wearing and had the honor of flying after our airline got back on its feet.

In this war there are no longer borders and there are no clear lines. And in my humble opinion, just as the people of Israel have learned, we are all targets.

I thank you for serving and maybe one day we will share the same cockpit and on the overnight the drinks will be on me.

Frats,
Humble

I guess this thread doesn't matter now which is a relief.

I really just have to tip my hat to the men and women of our armed forces for just an amazing job they are doing.

Excuse Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I suggest you spend your time praying for those who may ultimately have to go in harm's way and for the safety of those left behind at home. While you are out flying your airline line, your learjet, or your CFI job, some mililtary families may be dreading the blue car showing up in the driveway.

and requote with note:

"some mililtary families may be dreading the blue car showing up in the driveway"

MAY I SUGGEST (yelling at the top of my vioce along with more aggression and more anger than anything you've ever faced and my finger pointed at the face on your over-inflated head) THAT YOU (albie) SHUT YOUR TRAP UNLESS YOU KNOW FIRST HAND WHAT ITS LIKE TO HAVE THE BLUE CAR SHOW UP IN YOUR DRIVEWAY. UNDERSTAND.

Latest resources

Back