Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Uncle Sparky

Beano Tester
Has anyone here done it in a non-military aircraft recently?

I'm operating a LR-31 between Kuwait and Beirut and Kuwait and Istanbul and would prefer to go 'direct' to both.
I have the FIM from the RAMCC and have even contacted them directly with their response being "read the FIM". The way that I'm reading it is that the request form is the only requirement, but obviously I would like to have all of my ducks in a row well in advance of the next 48hr window.
If anyone has done it recently, could you give me a breakdown of any required items beyond the request form?

It is actually real easy. I used to do it all the time with my former company in the 757. All the controllers are Brits and Americans so the language barrier is not a problem. There is only one airway used from kuwait up through iraq. With us they always had a specific squawk that we would use when inbound to KWI. You will change to that squawk when you hit the Iraqi FIR (Kaban I believe). As you approach KWI they will put you down to 18 to 19 thousand to keep you below the outbound KWI departures, so don't get too excited. Outbound out of KWI is just a few minutes before you are through the Iraqi FIR. Just make sure you have the right squawk, this is a big deal. Sometimes you will not get ahold of Talil control until you are well inside Iraqi airspace, again do not be concerned, just make sure you have the right squawk. Usually you will level around 16 to 17, transition atltitude is 15, so watch the altimeters on climb out don't forget to go to 2992. Since it is a busy airway they give you the altitude that they want, so it might not be your choice. Study the notams, it really is not a big deal. Have fun.

Thanks

...just got my approval for the next two flights. You were right, it's pretty painless.
Thanks for the additional operating info and pointers.

no problem

Latest resources

Back