• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

iPads for Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe an Alaska pilot can answer this question for me? Is there a mount that was fabricated to hang your ipad on the control colum or side window?

Our company (Atlas) is also exploring the use of iPads in the cockpit.

They're looking into a bracket that attaches to the side window with suction cups, but last I heard there were problems with the ipad overheating when the sun was coming through the glass. The window heat probably doesn't help.

Right now we are only using the manuals for "non-Jepps" manuals (everything else) In order to use the ipads for primary nav reference they will have to figure out a mounting method.

The ipads make cost sense even without ever using them for Jepps. For pilots, if we don't get Jepp approval, it only takes one binder out of our flight case.

Right now we are only using the manuals for "non-Jepps" manuals (everything else) In order to use the ipads for primary nav reference they will have to figure out a mounting method.

The ipads make cost sense even without ever using them for Jepps. For pilots, if we don't get Jepp approval, it only takes one binder out of our flight case.

I saw the news report on USA Today, with the pilot saying that the devices will be shut off below FL100. If these are to replace the Jepps, what's the point really if they are off? I envisioned them replacing clipped Jepp charts on the yoke for approach and landing. Can you provide some insight?

I saw the news report on USA Today, with the pilot saying that the devices will be shut off below FL100. If these are to replace the Jepps, what's the point really if they are off? I envisioned them replacing clipped Jepp charts on the yoke for approach and landing. Can you provide some insight?

The first step is to replace carrying our paper copies of the Flight Ops manual (Capt) and Flight Handbook (FO) with the iPad. Right now we still have to carry our paper manuals and iPad during a 6 month period. They would like to use the iPad for Jepps but there are some hurdles they have to get through first: Mounting, Power Cords, Auto Shutoff, etc. Once they solve those problems, get it FAA approved and probably go through some sort of trial period, they will remove the 10,000' restriction. The possibilities are endless with the thing. I think it will be really nice, but this is definitely version 1.0.

The first step is to replace carrying our paper copies of the Flight Ops manual (Capt) and Flight Handbook (FO) with the iPad. Right now we still have to carry our paper manuals and iPad during a 6 month period. They would like to use the iPad for Jepps but there are some hurdles they have to get through first: Mounting, Power Cords, Auto Shutoff, etc. Once they solve those problems, get it FAA approved and probably go through some sort of trial period, they will remove the 10,000' restriction. The possibilities are endless with the thing. I think it will be really nice, but this is definitely version 1.0.

Got it! I was assuming that any trials were over since they were approved for use, but sounds like there is a ways to go. Great start though and a long overdue use of tech for the cockpit and burdensome books. I'm wondering if the iPad will be the only deviced used or if some other airlines will use a cheaper, Android based model in the future. If these prove successful who's to say that future cockpits don't have these built in!

Got it! I was assuming that any trials were over since they were approved for use, but sounds like there is a ways to go. Great start though and a long overdue use of tech for the cockpit and burdensome books. I'm wondering if the iPad will be the only deviced used or if some other airlines will use a cheaper, Android based model in the future. If these prove successful who's to say that future cockpits don't have these built in!

They already do have them built in but ipads cost hundreds...Boeing charges tens-of-thousands. This is actually the cheaper alternative.

If I may be so bold as to offer advice to the iPad toting Alaska drivers, don't throw away your paper manuals after the end of the test period. All those margin notes and flagged pages are going to go poof and never return!

Yes, GoodReader has annotation capabilities, but as your updates will most likely come as complete new files, you will not be able to save your notes from update to update.

Another fun fact is manuals get much fatter when removed from the requirement of being printed on paper and delivered to your V file. In black shirt land we have some manuals that are over 1000 pages! Finding anything quickly, even with the search function is frustrating.

With all our manuals on our EFBs and on our company issued memory sticks, I would still be better off with a paper MEL to use while on duty. Many of us carry paper cheat sheets to refer to for the things we look up all the time.

Last edited:
RC-I agree with you on the annotation capabilities. Many of us have that same concern. I hadn't thought about the increase of information, they just simplified our paper manuals a few years ago, but that wouldn't surprise me.

Latest resources

Back