Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
I bought the new iPad Mini (Gen 6) when it came out as I figured it would be a perfect fit in my cub. There really isn't much room and the iPhone 12 Pro MAX that I use is ideal IMHO. But I wanted to give it a try and finally did. First off, in my opinion...anything attached above the dash adds a blind spot and I try to avoid it. My GoPro for example adds a blind spot. I'm a bit sensitive to this having lost two squadron mates to a mid-air just after Desert Storm in my first A-10 squadron related to a blind spot caused by the canopy rail during a rejoin or lost sight scenario. So I'm not a fan of putting my phone or iPad above the dash. I connect it to the frame rail under the key using a ram mount (c clamp) and a medium arm for the iPhone and a long RAM mount arm for the iPad with the X Grip on the end.

I'd probably only use the iPad Mini for cross-country use but we'll see, I'm experimenting with it and also want to see how it works for instrument approach work. Again, I've become very comfortable with the iPhone PRO MAX with ForeFlight and the amount of screen real-estate on the iPad Mini almost threw me off as I had to do a spacing turn under the KRIC class C as some challenger jet decided to convert a pattern downwind to a 5 mile straight in :(

Here is a picture of the setup, works quite nice. The stick does hit it at full right but wasn't a big deal as I was fighting a strong crosswind on landing on this day (not fun). I also bought the pivot mount and suction cup setup for the iPad Mini but I think the RAM mount setup works better in my experimentation in the hangar.

Share your setup and if using an iPad Mini how it's working out for you in such a small cockpit space without obstructing something such as mixture, etc.

flying-with-ipadmini.jpg

I bought the new iPad Mini (Gen 6) when it came out as I figured it would be a perfect fit in my cub. There really isn't much room and the iPhone 12 Pro MAX that I use is ideal IMHO. But I wanted to give it a try and finally did. First off, in my opinion...anything attached above the dash adds a blind spot and I try to avoid it. My GoPro for example adds a blind spot. I'm a bit sensitive to this having lost two squadron mates to a mid-air just after Desert Storm in my first A-10 squadron related to a blind spot caused by the canopy rail during a rejoin or lost sight scenario. So I'm not a fan of putting my phone or iPad above the dash. I connect it to the frame rail under the key using a ram mount (c clamp) and a medium arm for the iPhone and a long RAM mount arm for the iPad with the X Grip on the end.

I'd probably only use the iPad Mini for cross-country use but we'll see, I'm experimenting with it and also want to see how it works for instrument approach work. Again, I've become very comfortable with the iPhone PRO MAX with ForeFlight and the amount of screen real-estate on the iPad Mini almost threw me off as I had to do a spacing turn under the KRIC class C as some challenger jet decided to convert a pattern downwind to a 5 mile straight in :(

Here is a picture of the setup, works quite nice. The stick does hit it at full right but wasn't a big deal as I was fighting a strong crosswind on landing on this day (not fun). I also bought the pivot mount and suction cup setup for the iPad Mini but I think the RAM mount setup works better in my experimentation in the hangar.

Share your setup and if using an iPad Mini how it's working out for you in such a small cockpit space without obstructing something such as mixture, etc.

View attachment 175

Have you considered a kneeboard mount for the iPad? That works for me in a PA-11.

Have you considered a kneeboard mount for the iPad? That works for me in a PA-11.
Yes, I got this one but was hoping I could angle up the iPad a little such as a 30 degree angle. I communicated this to the flyboys pivot peeps and they are supposedly working on something. I need to try it one day. My concern though is I'm right handed so I'd want it on my right leg but concerned resting my forearm on it would cause issues. I do need to give it a try on a flight. Kind of forgot about it as I'm so comfortable with my iPhone setup.

With your right hand on the stick, the kneeboard pretty much has to go on your left thigh. I'm right handed as well and don't have a problem using the iPad on the left leg. A $12.00 tilt pad from Mygoflight placed between the kneeboard and the leg strap will tilt the iPad towards the proper angle. Go to mygoflight.com and click on accessories. You can order it through Amazon from that page.

With your right hand on the stick, the kneeboard pretty much has to go on your left thigh. I'm right handed as well and don't have a problem using the iPad on the left leg. A $12.00 tilt pad from Mygoflight placed between the kneeboard and the leg strap will tilt the iPad towards the proper angle. Go to mygoflight.com and click on accessories. You can order it through Amazon from that page.
Thanks, found what you're talking about:

I will wait a little while and see if flyboys.com does anything for their iPad mini pivot setup to add tilt options. I started 3D printing my own, got the male side done, but the female side requires a pin and spring clip and decided not to continue.

Pivot Ipad mounts are what we used for TacOps in Afghanistan. Never seen better mounts. Suction cup, Velcro, and permanent mount styles. Flyboys has them at Flyboys.com.

Latest resources

Back