Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AvroJockey

Go Pack Go!
Just curious if anyone had any good or bad experiences with the iPad internal GPS or external GPSs on oceanic crossings.

I've heard of problems with heated windscreens. Any merit?

I've used my iPad on some ferry flights originating from the UK and always had an issue with it picking up a GPS signal after dead-heading from the US on the airlines. The first flight it took over night in the hotel room window before it could get a fix...then it was good throughout the ferry I did. The second ferry I couldn't get a signal during the whole flight. I was using a Bad Elf GPS in both cases.

The reason I'm asking...
The next aircraft I'm ferrying sometime this winter only has a single GPS. I would like a backup other than dead reckoning.

We will have two iPad 3s running Jeppesen Mobile FD, and a single B-RNAV, IFR approved, panel installed, oceanic GPS.

Would you recommend another external GPS unit for the iPad? I wasn't too impressed with Bad Elf.

I was thinking about getting the Appareo ADS-B unit for weather use in the US...seems like it has a very accurate GPS.

Avro, we're running an XGPS bluetooth GPS antenna have not had any issues. However, what seems to be typical is the iPad needing either a reboot or a hard reset when it's been moved long distances without it having a GPS signal (such as your airline flight). When doing so, the unit finds itself very quickly and locks right on.

For what it is worth, the Appareo unit works unbelieveably well. Coverage though the MidWest can be sparse. Everywhere else its a non-event. Never had a issue and have crossed through several lines of weather with it.

Latest resources

Back