Ioe

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8or98

I just started IOE last week. The Captain is having me fly every leg. Is this normal? I was counting on every other leg. It makes for a pretty long day.

When I was a new hire at American Eagle, my IOE captain had me fly every leg except the very last one. It was fine except as a newbie, I almost forgot my PNF flows by the end of the trip. Upgrade IOE, we switched every leg. Don't worry too much about it.

Yea, thats the normal routine. Actually, I flew every leg except the last one. It does make for a long day but see if you can also get a chance to do some of the NFP items as well like you did in the sim.

The FP has the easy job. When you have a 15 minute flight from PIT-CAK and only did the NFP once the day before, man, talk about jumping threw your arse.

Practice the NFP stuff if he/she will let you.

Good luck though, Have fun with it.

Totally depends on your IOE instructor, I think.
I've done 4 IOE's now, and only one guy had me fly all the legs but one. I'm still new on the Saab, so I still try to fly more than the FO.

Who are you flying the 72 for?

As an IOE instructor, I can say that the only time I ever made someone fly more than three legs in a row was becuase they needed a little work on something. This is not to say that you are having problems, that is just how I do it. I usually do the every other leg thing. I like to fly the airplane too! As was stated before, every instuctor has there own set of rules. I just think the PNF stuff is equally important, especially for new FO's. Good luck!

Jball

BTW- Just ask why he or she does it that way. They Probably have a good reason.

With all the OE I have done I flew every leg and loved it. That was with two 121 Airlines one a major and we'll call the other a minor. That goes for my FO and all my CPT checkouts.

As a LCA I try to vary it as we go. Assuming a 3 or 4 day trip with a new hire, I try to have them do the majority of the legs on the first day just to get a feel for the aircraft. Day two I will do a few legs with them doing a couple more than me. By the last day I try to do it 50/50 so they can balance their PF with the PNF duties. I agree that I will have them do more of the PF legs if there are areas that need a little more work, but the PF and the PNF duties need to be balanced if they are to be prepared for regular line flying. Just my .02 after about 3 years as LCA on the SF340. IOE with a new captain I usually split 50/50 because for the most part the flying skills are allready there, I'm more concerned with decision making skills, and applying the knowlege of company SOP and FAR to be a safe captain.

Hey, jball2 . . . .

I understand the theoretical purpose of IOE, to show a new-hire or an upgrader the ropes. I have also understood that IOE, while important, is also intended to be a professional experience, if not a pleasant and fun experience.

I had a friend who got on with American Eagle. He was on his first trip, which was an IOE, and he was washed out after that trip. I find it hard to believe that he would have been washed out because he cannot fly, because he can, and he obviously passed his checkride. He would not come out and say it, but he implied that his IOE check airman was not terribly pleasant to him and was riding him the first time. In your opinion, (or others, too) is this common? Frankly, I think he got screwed.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Its not common industry wide, but there is always a jerk or two out there. Meanwhile, if I was your friend, I'd talk to the Chief Pilot and tell him my side of the story. Where I work, you can wash out, but its very very very rare that that happens. I heard one person got almost 40 hours of IOE and then passed.

IOE a**holes

Thanks for the answer. It happened a few years ago to my friend; otherwise, I'd tell him. Happy ending to his story; he starts with Exec Jet this month or next month.

40 hours of IOE seems like an extremely fair deal to me. I know of big-time flight schools who bust out instructors for less than that.

Latest resources

Back