Involved in accident or incident?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nanook

I did a search but nothing seemed to answer my question, so I would like to ask for opinions. I was filling out the SWA application and it asked if I have been part of an accident or incident that resulted in injury or damage to the aircraft.

As a military guy, I have been part of many mishaps (old airplanes), almost all were mechanical failures. I know there is a difference between the military definition of mishap (normally greater than $20K in damage) the NTSB/FAA definition of an accident or an incident. I have been part of a crew on several (10) mishaps/incidents/accidents (chose your word), but I have never been found causal or at fault on any report, nor has any action ever been taken against me (civil or military).

Do SWA and other airlines want to know about every time I had to shut a motor down, had an engine fire or took bird strike damage? Or are they only interested in times when the pilot was part of the cause? Thanks…

I'm no expert but the answer seems pretty straight forward. The military has two kinds of accident boards, the SIB and the AIB. The SIB is broken down into class A,B, and C. It doesn't take much to be a class C accident, so almost all military pilots have been part of a class C or higher. However the SIB is privleged information and the airline/FAAcould not get this information if they wanted to, nor could they hold it against you if they did.

However because of the nature of the privleged information in a SIB the military is required to provide a releasable report of the accident. This is done through the AIB and the Commander will determine if this is required, or it can be directed if the dollar figure is high enough i.e Class A. All information in the AIB is releasable and can be held against you.

So the answer to your question seem obvious. I would only list those cases which resulted in an AIB report which was released.

So let's say you have been in an accident as described above, and it is listed on the SWA app, do you think it precludes you from getting an interview?

Chase?

Always makes you wonder with all the competition out there.
JJ

I like aint for certin bout whedder dis ting I like posted inda past is like an incident or not....

"Speaking of chunky, dude, I ate like tons of grub before my long solo cross-country and I had to take a crap like when I leveled off. No way I'm holdin it in until landing, so I start thinkin.

Yeah, dude, I'm pretty well trimmed up and stuff, so I open the window, undo my belt, drop trou, and I got my butt right there in the sweet spot. Dude, it was SOO nasty and runny, but I'm thinkin it's all good cause it's all goin out the window, right?

Not exactly dude, when I went to put my pants on, I'm thinkin how cool I am. Then I sit down and it's like "splosh", then I feel it, like warm nasty, all squirtin and flowing out the top of my pants, and like the back of my legs are kinda warm and wet now too.

Meanwhile, I guess that crap stuff kinda distracted me a little, cause I look out the window, and there's like trees and stuff to my left and there's like this HUGE SEMI to my right! Oh, crap! I'm like lined up at about 20-30 feet above this Interstate and descending (naw bro, I ain't telling which one). It gets even more crazy. Theres like this bridge and stuff coming up and theres like this big pause cause I gotta figure out what to do, only it's kinda hard to think because everything like stinks like a big nasty used diaper and stuff (I ate BoooooooKooooooo mexican and muey Cervasas the night before).

Anyway, I got no option man, so I grab the yoke and I'm going for it, right under the bridge! Freaking rightoeus Dude! Well, almost, cause I'm just comin out the other side and it's like Oh Crap, another Freaking Semi! This ones heading right toward me. Dude I pull back and add power, and the Freaking Stall reed is like freaking squealing "dude, bad kharma, bad kharma" Dude, I'm thinkin like the two trucker dudes probably were diggin the show, but not me dude, During the pull-up, you guesssed it, I was so freaking wired that I crapped my pants again!

I still can't believe I never got violated, but it litrally scared the crap out of me!"

nanook said:
Do SWA and other airlines want to know about every time I had to shut a motor down, had an engine fire or took bird strike damage? Or are they only interested in times when the pilot was part of the cause? Thanks…
I don't think they want to know about the time your oil quantity went to zero and you had to shut 'er down in flight and greased the 3-engine landing. I also don't think they care about how many waterfowl you've exterminated with the mighty CFM-56's. I think they WOULD like to know about the engine fire if it was caused by your poor application of crosswind controls that resulted in scraping a pod.

TonyC said:
I don't think they want to know about the time your oil quantity went to zero and you had to shut 'er down in flight and greased the 3-engine landing. I also don't think they care about how many waterfowl you've exterminated with the mighty CFM-56's. I think they WOULD like to know about the engine fire if it was caused by your poor application of crosswind controls that resulted in scraping a pod.

Absolutely correct!!!!

what they really want to know is... what will show up on your certificate as far as the faa is concerned. Your military stuff won't be there.

I'd use the definition of "incident" found under NTSB in the FAR/AIM. If you've got more than a few thousand hours, you've probably had an "incident." But if SWA exlcludes incidents which don't result in injury/damage you shouldn't need to list it.

Other airlines aren't so specific and want to know about all "incidents."

Latest resources

Back