Intrument Training in 10 days?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ranger17

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the pros/and cons of doing a 10 day instrument course?

I have a student that would like me to develop a 10 day instrument course for him. I'm concered about the lack of experience the student will gain. I was thinking of requiring him to have a home study course completed and his written completed (any suggestions??). So I guess what I am asking is info on where to find a TCO for this type of program if anyone has one, or any suggestions on the development of the program. Any insights from past experiences would be great. Thanks to all who responde.

He should have the written passed before you start with him and I'd try to use a ground trainer or PCATD for part of it. I think there are some things that you can learn faster if it's not in the airplane.

I think the program you mean is PIC.

Get the book first, so you are familiar with the way they approach the training. They use a portable sim in conjuction with flying.

If you are sharp, know the written material (not just "pass" the material, but know it) and set aside all ten days to concentrate on this, you can be successful.

I'd strongly recommend he attending ground school prior to this 10 day wham-bam course.

He should also learn everything he can about weather before starting so on things you just memorize and read (that don't need actual experience -- like icing) he knows it cold before he starts.

Its not impossible to do it in 10 days. It will probably require 8am-8pm every single day for 10 days assuming he comes in having done all the reading, videos, ground school, etc.

Pros: little downtime, you get an IFR rating. Excellent for someone who flies regularly.

Cons: If it's not cloudy when you train during those 10 days, you'll never be prepared for the leap from foggles to hard IFR. It's a different world. All that knowledge will leak out of your ear in no time if you don't practice it immediately and often afterwards.

I'm a big fan of condensed training, if done right. As others have said, have the written done prior. Even better if he took a formal ground school prior to the written. Then be prepared to fly 6-8 hours per day for 10 days straight. I did my IFR in 12 days and it was brutal, but worthwhile. Very little "wasted time." I actually had to fly an extra hour under the hood prior to the checkride just to get the required amount of IFR/hood time. Another suggestion would be to also do it in a cross-country setting. Go on a long trip and do it that way. Far more fun.

Sam

Ten-day IFR course

I must second the above regarding after-course flying. A con of compressed, accelerated training of any kind is you will lose the knowledge as fast as you gained it if you don't use it. It takes the mind a while to receive and accept new knowledge. You may receive much of it by rote and without complete understanding, which can create doubts in your mind when you try to apply it.

If it were me taking an accelerated instrument course, after passing the practical I would take someone with me and practice, practice, practice IFR. I would see an instructor from time to time to be sure I'm not falling into any bad habits.

Good luck to your and your student.

Thanks everyone for the input, it has helped. I think we are planning on trying to develop a TCO for the Accelerated Instrument Course at our FBO. It sounds like we have a couple of other customers that maybe interested in this program. So we some hard work, hopefully we can carve a new niche in the market in our area (the msp area if anyone is interested PM me). If anyone has any other insights as to a good TCO and blocks of learning feel free to post them. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back