Introduction and a Couple Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LoneRider

Greetings, I am looking into charter aviation as a civilian career when I transfer from the Active Duty Army (to the Army National Guard (Florida or California) three years from now. This intended transition is to occur after eight years of service in both the US Navy and US Army (long story best left to PM).

I am an engineer officer by trade and my aviation experience is fairly limited (a few Cessna hours with the Aviation Explorer program of the Boyscouts of America). I am aware that there's a long road ahead of me for licensing and figure I'd best start planning now. From what I gather the sort of training/licensing is as follows:
  • Private Pilot License
  • Multi-engine Rating
  • Instrument Flying
  • Commercial Flight License
Out of curiousity are there other training/licensing requirements? I'm certain there are, but I'm not certain. I would appreciate any help.

Lonerider, welcome, you are on the information super highway here. Search engine and you will find......

Here is one of many websites you can look at:

http://www.faa.gov/

The certificate tab in the middle of the page will get you to a FAQ page that may answer some of your questions.

Look at spending around 3 to 5K for a private single engine certificate unless you find a military aero club, a civie aero club, or go into a partnership with another student to own an aircraft. Costs in fuel, insurance, and maintenance can be high.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back