Intra-Pilot Hirings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta3

Are there any airlines that give special consideration to current (non-flying) employees when they hire pilots?

Ex. A mechanic who works at Comair and gets privitate multi-time on the weekends. Would he get a leg up during the hiring process?

I heard that at one time Fedex gave guaranteed interviews to delivery drivers for pilot positions once they met the min qualifications and had been with the company a certain period of time. Is this a rumor or fact?

Great Lakes unofficially did in the past. I'm not sure if that will happen or not in the future.

UPS supposedly does (even for rampers). At least that's what a UPS HR person told me.

I wonder how long it would take someone to build up 1000 hrs turbine PIC while working on the Fedex ramp at night. That is one motivated person, huh :)

At my company we have hired back any former line person when they have achieved their ratings and enough time.

I've flown with one individual that in fact was senior enough working in the hub that he did fly for a commuter, building time while still keeping his hub job. Another individual, former Army R/W Aviator, West Point Grad, was a crew bus driver for a year, and at the same time was a DC9 Captain for another carrier. Two others I've flown with were both Navy pilots, worked for a year loading airplanes.

The reality is that most, if not all had the qualifications to get the job in the first place. They just guaranteed themselves an interview by taking the nonpilot job.

Latest resources

Back