Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Capthuff

A Pirate past 40
As we know, the FARs state that when operating in a foriegn country we shall abide by the regulations of that country. According to ICAO, in any aircraft that requires a type rating, both pilots must be typed. here are my questions.

1) do you operate with both pilots typed?

2) if not, do you get a waiver from the countries you visit?

3) how do you get the waiver?

4) do you go anyway and hope you dont get caught?

thanks
Cappy

PS Happy Holidays

Flying internationally you must coply with foreign operational rules (equivalent of FAR Part 91). If you fly on a FAA pilot certificate on a US registerd airplane you comply with FARs for pilot certification. (Type rating not required for second in command). If you operate a foreign registered airplane then you must comply with that nation's licensing rules which in many cases will require a type for the right seat (in addition to a basic license eg. ATP from that nation).

Last edited:
According to the ICAO annexs I have read, the flight crew must be certified in accordance with the regulations of the nationality of the aircraft. However, in Europe and some other countries, the authorities are requiring flight crews to be qualified in accordance with ICAO recommendations or their country's flight crew requirements. That is presently casing some issues.

Thanks for your replies.
I called ICAO and talked with a person in licensing and regulations and he said - to his knowledge - the US and the Phillipines were the only countries that did not require the co-pilot to be typed. He went on to say that even if it is a US reg. A/C, both pilots need a type to fly internationally. ( even Canada )
You are operating in their country and have to follow their rules.

A friend of mine has gotten a waiver from Mexico to send an A/C there with a non-typed co-pilot.

I think probably no one thought about this much and therefore the regs aren't well known. I have been international many times. Some times the authorities check your tickets and some times they don't. I have never been to Europe but I heard that a pilot was detained and fined and the A/C was impounded until the company could get a "qualified" pilot to fly it out. But I dont know if that is true or not. We all know how rumors in this industry can get.

Any way, thanks for your input.

Cappy

Don't know about europe, but if Canada does require both pilots to be typed then every airline out there is in violation of this rule.

Kerosene,

There may not be a requirement for revenue types to have both pilots typed. I know our underwriters require both pilots to be typed to even operate in the states. It is the wave of the future. It is a two edged sword, one being tough for the low time guys to get hired but it does raise the bar on safe operations. This is assuming that the typed guys are worth their weight, of course.

Capthuff said:
I called ICAO and talked with a person in licensing and regulations and he said - to his knowledge - ...
There was your first mistake. :)

If you're going to call someone, ask for references. As far as you know, his expertise in the area of your question is ZILCH.

I will also offer you no references to directives, but instead testify to examples of the contrary. Our company operates A-300's, DC-10's, and 727's - - all airplanes which require a type-rated Captain in the US - - throughout the world - - Canada, Mexico, South America, Europe, Asia - - you name it - - without a type-rated First Officer. Given the size and visibility of our company, I would assume that it is legal.

Now, I could be wrong. We've done other things that were found out to be not quite technically legal before. But I kinda have confidence that we're on the right track with this one.

:)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back