Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

braidkid

Hi,
I'm wanting to gather as much info as I can about this place in Bakersfield, CA. I have an opportunity to possibly work there in the near future and was wondering if it is a good place to work. If anyone could fill me in on quality of life and overall job satisfaction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I currently work at IFTA, I'm very happy with the work conditions.
8-5 m-f, no weekends, good pay, benefits, motivated students, great equipment, good people. Very good instructing job. Bakersfield is a pretty good place to live, lots to do in this area. It can be intimidating comming here for the interview-- wear a suit, study the AIM, FOI, be confident and polite

If you have any more questions I will be happy to reply

I was a student back in the spring/summer 2000. I loved it!

Great facility, awesome A/C, well equipped and maintained, ATC very understanding and above all great bunch of CFI.

Bakersfield itself is not the greatest location in SOCAL (if it's still socal) but for sure it's 2 hr away from the best that CALI can offer: beaches, sequoia and yosemite, LA, and ....Buttonwillow.

Management it's Jap so they are pretty anal over some minor things...at the end a joyful experience.

see ya

I F T A

In case you missed my response to your query on the Training Forum, here it is again:

International Flight Training Academy, aka Airstaff, Inc., is a GREAT job. I've known about the place for at least twelve years. I have a friend who has worked there, I met Fred Hagihara in 1993, and I had an interview lined up for later that year that I canceled because I had taken another job.

The place is a clone of Airline Training Center Arizona, the Lufthansa school, and for good reason. All Nippon Air had sent pilots to ATCA, but when it could not accomodate all of its trainees it built its own version in Bakersfield. The place flies outstanding equipment, Bonanzas and Barons, and you will have outstanding, motivated students whom you will train to airline standards. The icing on the cake is the pay, which is excellent, especially by instructor standards.

Here is a link to a discussion about IFTA. Your interview will likely include a flight in a Bonanza. By all means, if you're offered a job there, take it!

Good luck with your interview.

Last edited:
bobbysamd said:
International Flight Training Academy, aka Airstaff, Inc.

Your interview will likely include a flight in a Bonanza.
Actually Airstaff no longer leases instructor to IFTA, all the instructors are IFTA employees as of July 2004. Fred also is no longer apart of the hiring process at IFTA. The flight testing portion will now be held in the Baron Frasca simulator, no more actual aircraft flying for this. I think the rest of the interview is as said in previous posts, hr/technical interview, written, sim eval, and possibly the psycho test.

Good luck in the interview

pp

Career?

What is this place?? CFI job for those who are looking to make a career of instructing?

I F T A

Mtnjam said:
What is this place?? CFI job for those who are looking to make a career of instructing?
What's wrong with that? For those who want such a career, it's hard to beat the place. Working conditions, facilities, equipment and pay are first-class. You have motivated, dedicated and diligent students to work with.

The Lufthansa school, ATC Arizona, is similar and is IFTA's direct ancestor. IASCO in Napa trains JAL and JAS students. It has great facilities and equipment, and seeks career instructors. Warning, though: IASCO is a formidable and nearly untenable employer.

It's sad that American flight schools generally are pits and flight instructors are paid and treated like sh!t. I submit there are pilots who enjoy instructing and would not leave it or would return to it if they were treated with consideration and paid well.

Last edited:
As usual BobbySand gives great response. I can confirm everything he wrote.

If youhave any other questions don't be shy. Here you will get the answer.

Ciao :)

Latest resources

Back