INTERVIEWEE QUESTIONS (part 121) - WHAT QUESTIONS TO ASK OF THE INTERVIEWER

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HooverPig

Just wondering what questions you all recommend are asked by the interviewee of the interviewer during a part 121 job interview. Questions that might bring out relevant data for decisions about accepting the job or not or questions that might reveal a "TIRD".

Thanks.

I've only done one Pt. 121 interview, but this would count toward any interview.

Ask whatever questions you feel are important to you in making the go/no-go decision. Obviously, avoid the dangerous ones, "are the FA's hot and easy?" sort of questions. During my interview at a small carrier, we had one guy who kept asking "how many days DO I get off?" "How do I bid to get the most days off?" "How do I trip trade to get the most days off?" I'm not kidding! This was during the meet and greet with HR and two chief pilot's. We had 16 in the interview class and only three didn't get an offer. Can you guess who one was?

I've always felt it important to ask questions during the interview. One and most important, I'm getting the information I need. Two, you won't leave the interviewer feeling like you're a lump just looking to fill a seat.

Good luck!

2000Flyer

Whatever you want to know!! That should make it simple.

I've only interviewd twice, one with a 135 company and the other with a 121. There were a few things that I wanted to know about the companies before I could commit to a job. They are not waiting for fancy questions, just ask what you really want to know.

I have been one many 121 interviews.....successful at most, offers with many...Turned down by many....I am not proclaiming that I know all in this subject, I have done a lot of research had alot of interview training, coaching and over 20 interview experiences with 121 ops. I am only trying shed some light...( and I know I will catch some heat) Bring it on!

You should only ask questions that show that you are very interested in that company and its success....IT SHOULD SHOW YOU ARE EXCITED TO BE THERE and can make a positive contribution to the companies needs, you should ask Q's that promote you're understanding of the job you are interviewing for and how you can help fill the company needs...Everything you say, they way you look, dress, body language all tells the interviewers a little more about you......how you think, whats important to you, and if they should hire you....

Ask about company growth, acft numbers, adding cities....there are dozens of things, one of the best questions you can ask is: what are the best qualities that you like to see from you're (fill in the job you are trying to get). Ask about the company culture etc....standard benefit Q's

What ever you do, don't get to close to question that become to revealing as to your personal needs "from" the company.....these only make the interviewer second guess how you may act as an employee and speculate what negative impact you might bring as a result of employment....

You will have pleanty of time to learn everything you want or need to know from other employees before and after an offer....If there is any thing I have learned from all these interviews, is that you are being interviwed the moment you step onto the company property till you leave the location. You never know who is watching you when you least expect it, your interaction with others, manors, dress, smoker or not etc....really this does happen and it all goes to building a mental picture the HR folks will have about you....

make good eye contact, firm but moderate hand shake, sit up-right but relaxed, be a Good listener, dont interrupt, re-enforce what the interviewer has said about important responsibility they need the employee to perform...everything you say needs to be positive, even when they ask you about negative things...alway find away to turn it around and tell them what you learned from your mistake...positive! Now go get em! Good luck!

Last edited:
I owe some credit to Resume Writer here on flight info....The money spent with her for resumes and phone coaching session was well worth it and contributed to my success......

Kathy i.e. (resume Writer) has an advantage over many other professionals in her field as she comes from the airline world, deals with and has meetings with Airline HR folks and learns what they are looking for out of an employee...to me this kind of specific help is priceless......

Latest resources

Back