Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

exeagle

Serious question:

What is the proper etiquette for getting personal leave for an interview at another airline? I am scheduled to work on both interview days. I would like to take the high road and be straight with the CP's, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot in the process.

Has anyone done this. Did you call in sick or get personal leave or handle it a different way?

Any/all advise would be appreciated. This would be a jump from ASA to America West if successful. Disgregard my personal info if you're wondering how/why they called.

Thanks.

Contact your MEC or other trusted union rep and get your advice from them.

Generally the answer you'll get is a CP will grant it if staffing levels allow. Etiquette won't come into their decision making. I would say that it is possible they can't grant it, and now your on the radar...

Do what you need to do.

Wouldn't be the first time or unexpected.

exeagle said:
Serious question:

What is the proper etiquette for getting personal leave for an interview at another airline? I am scheduled to work on both interview days. I would like to take the high road and be straight with the CP's, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot in the process.

Has anyone done this. Did you call in sick or get personal leave or handle it a different way?

Any/all advise would be appreciated. This would be a jump from ASA to America West if successful. Disgregard my personal info if you're wondering how/why they called.

Thanks.

Call AmWest and ask to be rescheduled to one of your days off. They get that request a lot. They know you have a job. If you didn't you probably wouldn't be invited for an interview. It shows responsibility and integrity if you let them know that you need to reschedule because you don't want to let your present employer down by not showing up to work.

i had this problem i was given only 2 choices of dates and i was unable to get time off. so i called them back to see of anyother options on dates. usually they have several dates available, but give you only 2 becasue they are trying to fill those dates up. If they say nope those are the only two we have, then i say they are being pricks and you probably dont want to work for them anyway.

You'd like to think there is etiquette, but I don't think they really care. They all know about turnover and greener pastures.

Hopefully, the new employer will let you come on a dayoff. I always traded and bartered with scheduling. schedulers make it work and the Mgt is out of the loop. Another thing. I think that two week thing is overated.

I knew a guy at CC air who got a call from airtran back in 2000 on a friday for a monday class. He got out of the jetstream and quit on the spot. Did it really matter? Nope.

Latest resources

Back