• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Otto77

Snacko
Well guys,
I have an interview coming up with a heavy unit and would like some tips from those in the know or who have sat in on boards. I have been to a few interviews before and have done well (received an alt. slot)..but like to keep prepping myself. If you have any questions that are good ones to think about, or any tips PLEASE help me out by listing them. I want to make sure I present myself as the best candidate possible by being confident and humble ( i.e. not a cocky jackass haha)!

Also, how do I deal with the dreaded " do you plan to go to an airline question?". In the past I have answered truthfully that I would think about it if the opportunity presented itself, but that I'm definitely only interested in flying on the military side. I dont see the need to lie and say I would never think about it, and then most of the folks in units are employed by airines as well so wouldnt they understand? Any clarification or ways to answer this question better would be great!

Thanks for any and all help :)

Tips

Reserve units want to make sure they hire folks that can do the job, WILL do the job and most importantly, they can live with.
Be honest...if you want to go to the airlines later, ok....but you would be smart to stay in the reserves. There are plenty of us airline folks that still stay current. If you live near the unit - they like that - easier to schedule you if the NEED you and cheaper too - they dont have to pay you as much per diem.
ALso - you dont look like you mil exp so sell yourself on what you have - civ experience, grades and motivation and dedication to past jobs. Show that you CAN do it and want to do it.
Good luck

Hopefully the interview won't be your first or second time into the unit to meet the guys/gals. Face time before the board is crucial. Biggest factor is to be likable, positive, motivated, and excited to be a part of whatever mission it is they do. Likability is probably the most key factor as once you are into the unit, there's really no getting rid of you for at least 20 years.

As for the airline question, I told one board I did want to eventually pursue a civilian aviation career and it was the kiss of death, the next one I said no and they didn't believe me, so I would be honest, but emphasize your goals to contribute to the Reserves and military aviation throughout your flying career.
You should emphasize that you've always wanted to be a part of military aviation, and why the Reserves are the best fit for you as opposed to active duty. Lighten it up wherever you can so they can see your fun side, but obviously don't come off as a goof ball.

Don't talk too much about your civilian experience if you have any, nobody really cares about that a whole lot. The Air Force will start from scratch and teach you their way to do things. Not that experience is a bad thing, just that most boards would hire a likable guy with 0 time over a less likable guy whose got thousands of hours.
Also, hopefully you know someone in the unit. It goes a long way to have someone vouch for you.
Use military courtesies such as sir/maam, but don't over use them as most reservists aren't used to talking like that.
Anyway, hope there was some help here for you. Best of luck.

I agree with what was posted above. I was doing a lot of leg work a while back for guard/reserve units. During one interview I know for a fact at least half of the 15 people sitting around the table interviewing me were current airline guys/gals, so if they ask if you wanna work for an airline, dont try to show 'em your best poker face just say yes. Cant stress enough the importance of the face time with the unit, as stated above.

Latest resources

Back