• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interview suits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Send him home. He is not wearing a blue suit and red conservative power tie! He must not want to work here"

Think about how stupid that sounds. Do you really think anyone has ever had that conversation at any decent place to work?

Some of this advice is good, and some of it is just gay. For those talking about the preferred colors of suits, who told you that? It's just some stupid aviation old wives tale. Please.............

The suit color can be just about anything. If it is something you would wear to church with your grandmother, and she would not be embrrassed to be seen with you by her friends, then wear it. A solid white suit or something along those lines will be frowned upon, but anything else is acceptable. Just make sure it is a suit. Since it is past labor day, it should be a darker suit.

These losers that go to an interview with the navy suit and 'power tie' all looking the same is just stupid. And they do that because they THINK it is what the company wants pilots to come dressed like. Please show me the source where it says to wear a NAVY suit or your chances for employment will be deminished. Going into an interview dressed like everyone else just shows the potential employer that you do not have the ability to think for yourself and/or you love to listen to rumors.

Shirt: A nice pressed and startched shirt is par for the course. When wearing a suit and tie, NEVER wear a shirt that has visible button down collars. Too casual. You have on a nice business suit then muck it up with a shirt that has a button down collar. Don't do it. Nothing wrong with contrasing collar/cuffs (white collar/cuffs and body of shirt blue for example)

Shoes: Once again, color is irrelevent, just make sure they match. Also, when wearing a suit, NEVER wear loafers. That means, if you do not have to tie them, then you should not be wearing them with a suit. Polished is a given.

A good example of what to wear would be the guys on wall street. They are all very snappy dressers. Not flashy, they just come to work looking great, and this hillbilly stuff will not fly. Or, Brian Williams on NBC News is always well dressed.

When I interview, I wear a black suit and either a white shirt or a charcoal contrasting shirt. Collar and Cuffs are white. Collar is a tab collar (gives you a really clean look) and cuffs are French requiring cuff links. Shoes are black as is the belt (make sure those 2 items match). I've never been to an interview where others were dressed better than I. The HR folks might look at you and woonder why you don't look like everyone else. Gets them curious about you and makes them wonder what you are all about. You'll already have a leg up before you even go in for the sit down.

Good luck.

Last edited:
You really wear black shoes with a blue suit??? Seems like it wouldn't look right. I was always taught burgundy shoes with a blue suit.

I've never been to an interview where others were dressed better than I

Nevermind..........99.9% of his post is right on the $$$$$$, but cuff links?? Really??

I went to S and K because they had a clearance sale and after tailoring the suit it came out too big. I didn't know this until my wife saw it upon returning to town. I thought that was how it was supposed to look.

South Korea is the best place for suits, just allow enough time for them to get it right.

You might as well get custom boots and a custom leather jacket while you're there.

Black n' Blue

iflyjets4food said:
You really wear black shoes with a blue suit??? Seems like it wouldn't look right. I was always taught burgundy shoes with a blue suit.

Black shoes, blue suit looks like a walking bruise.

I've got the burgundy shoes to go with the bule suit. Thanks to the Men's Wharehouse guy.

eP.

South Korea is the best place for suits, just allow enough time for them to get it right.

You might as well get custom boots and a custom leather jacket while you're there.

Duuuude! You like stole your suit from like a South Korean duude? Did it like fit? Musta been like some kinda big Korean cat, eether dat or like you be like a teeneey eeeneeey weeeney dude.

Dat musta been a freaking great interview question from da peeps department. Uhhh, like where you like get dat suit, dude?

SWA must like dig stories like dat.

Dude, fer me I jus hads to be comferbull, so I like wore like my ole docksiders and a colorful belt. I forgot to pack a tie, but like you can get one cheap like at any goodwill store. Some dude said dat the white socks are like not cool, but dude, mine hads like red and blue stipes on ttop, so like I wuz feelin like a yankee doodle dandy and stuff.

All I knows is I gotz da job................................................................

AWWWW YEAAAAHHHH

Black shoes, black belt, black suit (single breast), white shirt, red, black, or navy blue tie, all solid colors including the tie. Most of the 141 avit schools preech it for interviews. Thats all I know.

Some weird shiz. The 141 schools usually make you wear an airline uniform to teach freakin flight lessons. Forget all that. Lame. You're applying to operate machinery, not running for congress.

Do you really feel you must wear "the perfect threads" before you can fly single pilot cargo?!

Last edited:
Keep them black and clean. Try to get rubber soles. When I was at my interview the other day, I sounded like I was wearing high heels walking through a room. Everytime I walked in somewhere all the guys turned around with a dissappointed look on thier face when they saw me. It got kind of funny at the end of the day.

LOL! That's too funny!

I agree with Navy Blue, I've got two Hicky Freeman's, one solid navy, and the other with a minimally visible 1/2" spaced pin stripe (baker style).. both have done me well. Also, a traditional tie goes along way.. A nice red and blue "Regimental" tie is my tie of choice.

Latest resources

Back