• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interview Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yup, 120 foot stripes + 80 feet between = 600RVR.

Incorrect! The answer is 600 feet. RVR is an instrumentally derived value that represents the horizontal distance a pilot may see down the runway. So unless your eyeball somehow qualifies as a transmissometer you cannot determine RVR from the cockpit, only ground visibility.

It's a trick question. How far from the runway are you?

Cavpilot is correct, it is feet not RVR. So sorry for my incompetence...

Glasspilot - good point, hopefully they aren't using this to determine flight visibility, that is a trick question. At NJA we use this to decide if we have the 600 FEET of visibility required for takeoff, so we are hopefully sitting on the runway when we determine this, not at minimums in flight.

Incorrect! The answer is 600 feet. RVR is an instrumentally derived value that represents the horizontal distance a pilot may see down the runway. So unless your eyeball somehow qualifies as a transmissometer you cannot determine RVR from the cockpit, only ground visibility.

Sorry, I misspoke/typed, whatever. Interestingly enough, my eyes have been certified by the FAA as transmissometers! I also have calibrated elbows that substitute for a torque wrench. Cool...

So what's the point of the question? If RVR is the controlling value, who cares if you can calculate how many feet you can see. Besides, you need more than one RVR to takeoff anyway if the vis is that low. How would you eyeball roll out vis? This qualifies as a stupid interview question.

Latest resources

Back