Interview Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

anasun2000

I will be transitioning from the Air Force soon (I want to be a dispatcher.) and was wondering how to explain why I left the military. My contract is up and I do not want to make a career out of the military for certain reasons. Is it better to speak generically or to give specific reasons why I did not re-new my contract? Any ideas?

Speak Generically. If the person was never in the military, they will never be able to understand the lifestyle, the problems, challenges, etc, anyways.

Basically put into words that it was what you wanted to do, you did lot, recieved a lot of good training, served your country, but also desire to achieve a career in the civil world where you are more in control of the desicions that affect you and your family.

I would have two or three specific reasons at the ready in case the interviewer IS former military. Even if they are not however, it's not a bad idea to have some specifics ready - it'll make you more human.

For example, if, while you've been in, you've gotten married, had kids, 9/11 happened, and your folks aren't getting any younger and will soon require your assistance, stating all these as concrete reasons for your decision will demonstrate your dedication to family. No one questions your dedication to your country - that goes without saying. What you will put on display something they might indeed be interested in.

Think creatively about what you want a company to know about you - work out your strongest selling points - the reasons why an employer SHOULD want someone like you on staff. If you do this correctly some of those things will be in the realm of maturity, reliability, family orientation and adherence to duties related to all of these.

An interview is an opportunity to take complete control over the flow of information that another person will hear about you. Make sure you’re ready to deliver the very best sales pitch you can. It makes all the difference in the world when you come prepared.

TIS

The one big NO-NO though, is bad mouthing your current employer whether it's a specific supervisor or the military in general. We all love to grumble, but the interview is not the time to do it.

The other guys gave you great info on what to talk about, just keep it positive.

TankerDriver said:
Amen to that! (this coming from someone who is leaving tomorrow for that very place for the next 2 months). :rolleyes:

TankerDriver--You have to be a fairly new CP to have that avatar!!!!!! A few more trips to the desert will make you a crew dog and you won't be spreading propaganda!!! Just bustin' on you, no offense.

anasun2000 said:
I will be transitioning from the Air Force soon (I want to be a dispatcher.) and was wondering how to explain why I left the military. My contract is up and I do not want to make a career out of the military for certain reasons. Is it better to speak generically or to give specific reasons why I did not re-new my contract? Any ideas?
Tell them that you enjoyed your time in the military, learned a lot, and was proud to serve. However, now you reached a stage in your life where you want to have more stability and stay in one place.

I'm also assuming that you don't have bad-baggage following you out of the military.

what he said

Draginass said:
Tell them that you enjoyed your time in the military, learned a lot, and was proud to serve. However, now you reached a stage in your life where you want to have more stability and stay in one place.

I'm also assuming that you don't have bad-baggage following you out of the military.

In my FedEx interview with 2 former military interview captains, the quesiton came up and I spewed forth pretty much what Draginass said. You might want to leave out the "stay in one place" if the company has more than one location. They might be looking for flexible employees. Simply focus on you enjoyed the military, but now you are getting, (older, married, kids, etc) and would like a little more stability in your family life.

Latest resources

Back