Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8orboy

LAS-FIDOE-MCY-SMOKY
I was asked this question a few years ago at an interview and never found the answer. Here it goes, What is considered mountainous terrain?

Off the top of my head, I know what clearances you would be assured of....2000' for 4 nautical mile width, but I don't know exactly the criteria to warrant that.

Tank-u come again!

United used to ask the question in relation to Jeppessen charts and when they started to do that brown contouring for mountainous areas. I believe the answer was 4000 feet above field elevation, but I don't have a Jepp legend handy to check.

TP

typhoonpilot said:
United used to ask the question in relation to Jeppessen charts and when they started to do that brown contouring for mountainous areas. I believe the answer was 4000 feet above field elevation, but I don't have a Jepp legend handy to check.

TP

United is the company that asked me the question. I think I answered something along those lines. The only reason I said that is I know that a mountain is anything over 4,000’. But I figured the feds would have so other super complicated definition.

Just did a trip so I dug into the onboard Jepp Text. Here are the answers.

Mountainous Area ( ICAO ) = An area of changing terrain profile where the changes of terrain elevation exceed 3000 feet within a distance of 10 Nautical Miles.

From the Approach chart legend: Generalized terrain contour information may be depicted when terrain within the approach chart planview exceeds 4000 feet above airport elevation, or when terrain within 6 NM of the Airport Reference Point rises to at least 2000 feet above the airport elevation.

TP

Latest resources

Back