Interview Prep for CAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

slcaviator

Does anyone have any thoughts about doing an interview prep for CAL (not sim prep), and who does the best prep (emerald coast, cage, judy tarver, ect...)

Thanks in advance!

:cool:

Last edited:
did you get an interview yet? I think the flood gates may open up soon with that recent vacancy bid.

I did an interview prep which helped to get my mind in the right direction. I didn't do an sim prep. If you have flown anything with a flight director recently I don't think you need it. For me, August 2005, it was a MD-80 sim with full flight director guidance. Peice of cake. The other pilot sets the MCP so all you have to do is fly.

Good luck.

CLAMBAKE

Who did you do the prep with? Did you find it helpful? I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for an interview sometime this fall and would appreciate any info you have to share.

Some additional info that could effect CAL hiring. Our lump sum multiplier for our frozen "A" plan is based on the GATT rate. The GATT rate has an inverse relationship to interest rates. The GATT rate is published twice a year June and November.

For many of our pilots nearing retirement it may be more financially advantageous to retire early before the end of November. In some cases the difference could be like working for free.

Rumors have anywhere from 50 to 350 early retirements, time will tell how many will really retire, talk is cheap. 2007 is our peak year in normal age 60 retirements with just over 300

yes all this helps TONS!! I was recently told I was moved to an upper folder where interviews are granted from. With those numbers it may not be too long! Either way I will patiently wait until I hear something and in the mean time learn as much as I can. Once again thanks!

taxicabdriver said:
Who did you do the prep with? Did you find it helpful? I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for an interview sometime this fall and would appreciate any info you have to share.

I would recomend against doing a one on one type of interview prep. Go to aviationinterviews.com and read..read..read..then formulate your own answers..Interview is informal and very relaxed.

I am torn on whether to recommend the sim prep. As long as you know the proper callouts, power settings, etc and can fly the F/D it was a piece of cake. For me, doing the sim prep sort of eroded my confidence. As long as you are current and comfortable in a simulator you will do fine. The Alteon MD-80 sim in Dallas was extremely pitch sensitive.. However, the CAL MD-80 sim was rock solid..

I guess the question really boils down to is the job worth $400 just to be sure you don't have to say "I should have done the sim prep" I can say now the $500 I paid was not worth it..

My $.02

i have to go with geshields on this one. I didnt do the sim prep, just studied what was on that website he mentioned. It was VERY relaxed and informal, kinda like hanging around the ready room or pilots lounge. The sim prep I do recommend, especialy for military pilots. The callouts and checklists are like nothing we do and using a flight director takes a little getting used to if you have never seen one. Bottom line like he said...is it worth $400 bones for the job, even if it just gives you nothing more but a little confidence. The sim ride was not hard at all, I dont think it was more than 10 minutes in the box, but it felt good knowing I had done it. I used a guy named Jack something (forget the last name) out at Alteon and he was real good. Something about that last sentance doesnt sound right...anyways good luck.

Latest resources

Back