Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

exeagle

Serious question:

What is the proper etiquette for getting personal leave for an interview at another airline? I am scheduled to work on both interview days. I would like to take the high road and be straight with the CP's, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot in the process.

Has anyone done this. Did you call in sick or get personal leave or handle it a different way?

Any/all advise would be appreciated. This would be a jump from ASA to America West if successful. Disgregard my personal info if you're wondering how/why they called.

Thanks.

Sick Days

That is why pilots have sick days, to get off for interviews.

Use personal Leave. Remember you are not allowed to use flight benefits if you call in sick. Furthermore, if the company finds out you are misrepresenting an illness, you have better hope for the job at AWA.

ACE said:
Use personal Leave. Remember you are not allowed to use flight benefits if you call in sick. Furthermore, if the company finds out you are misrepresenting an illness, you have better hope for the job at AWA.
I agree ACE. Don't ever misrepresent anything in this business. Be honest, it'll work out.

I'd try and ask for leave; first without giving a reason, then try to drop the trip if that didn't work out. If those didn't work, try and find a co-worker who'll trade trips. I might delay my interview for a month (assuming that HP is interviewing for more than one month) in order to get the days off.

I wouldn't call in sick unless I was sick. Period. This industry is way too small.

I left a previous employer once with only four days notice, and I still worry that it might come back to haunt me. Looking over your shoulder is no fun.

Good luck,
enigma

I really wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Call out sick . . . take a mental health day.

Seriously, sick days are a negotiated benefit. You gave up soemthing else to get them. Use them, they are yours.

FWIW, sick days at AWA expire at the end of the year . . . from what I have been told by friends that work there. Use 'em or lose 'em ;)

I would not use your sick time. If you non-rev to your interview, Delta can easily track your abuse of sick time.

Try to get legitimate days off. If that fails, get sick or whatever else it takes. Dont let some half ass employer stand in your way of advancing your career. God knows they will not let your well being get in the way of their advancement.

Its just business.

Personal leave, no question. Nobody is perfect, but if you have any shred of integrity, you would not purposely put the burden of getting a job with another firm on you current employer. They are the ones who hired you, so show a little loyalty, and they are the ones who apparently were nice enough to give you sick time and/or personal leave along with lots of flight hours with which to pursue the majors. If I was at AWA or wherever you go, and I found out you took sick time, I would assume it would be the same after I hired you, so why hire someone who doesn't work for the company's benefit? And could you blame them? Good luck.

Latest resources

Back