Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FYI Interval for cleaning the breather tube on a CubCrafters Carbon Cub FX-3 with Lycoming 363i

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I’m just pushing the cleaning brush up the tube a few time until I feel any crud loosen up. you can’t push the brush up very far and you will hit enough resistance that will indicate it’s far enough.

I’ve never pulled the cowl or tube off to clean it.
Ok, good deal. That's what I've been doing. Last flight I also noticed a small drop in RPM on the right side ignition. Dirty plug? After running it at 2000 rpm and leaning it out for a bit, the drop was minimal (I think around 10-20), but it's at the top of my list next flight to do a thorough check on the ignition (watching EGT change) and oil pressure after a thorough cleaning of the breather.

With oil temp in the green mid to high 80's (85-87)
I think you have the numbers wrong on this, green is 122 and above I think, can't remember top of green value. As long as it's in the green.
Last flight I also noticed a small drop in RPM on the right side ignition
I've been hypersensitive about this and had an issue at my first condition inspection where the A&P had an oops on my ignition circuit when we swapped out the seat for the 3rd time due to upholstery issues. Anyways, what I learned is yeah the allowed drop is 50, I've seen 70-80 but the drop really occurs when the key is in between BOTH and L and R, etc. In those transitions you're essentially killing the ignition then enabling it again and that causes a RPM drop. It's also odd that I can hear the RPM change but I don't see it when going between BOTH, R, L in runup tests. Moral is don't be overly sensitive about it, there's nothing you can really do to fix it, I think it's just a test to ensure it's working as expected, what that expectation is really isn't in black and white as to go / no-go. I can tell you that when it's not right you will know which happened from the incident mentioned above.

I replace my plugs at every condition inspection, we're lucky, they're cheap. And after my first condition inspection with the CubCrafters "" service center "" (I put that in quotes for a reason) I wasn't happy with the gapping of the plugs so when I got home I replaced them again. With that said I just replaced mine and they looked terrible and I run LOP and lean at idle. Last night I did a further test of how far I could lean at idle (1000) before the engine got rough and I'm going to be leaning more aggressively at idle/taxi to again try to keep these plugs in the best shape possible. Maybe it's normal that plugs look like this after a year but I'm going to do my best to keep things in top order.

I think you have the numbers wrong on this, green is 122 and above I think, can't remember top of green value. As long as it's in the green

Let me clarify. With my oil temperature in the green arc, oil pressure is measuring in the amber high 80’s (84-89). I reference temp so that you know I’m not reading pressure on a cold-soaked engine.

I've been hypersensitive about this and had an issue at my first condition inspection where the A&P had an oops on my ignition circuit when we swapped out the seat for the 3rd time due to upholstery issues. Anyways, what I learned is yeah the allowed drop is 50, I've seen 70-80 but the drop really occurs when the key is in between BOTH and L and R, etc. In those transitions you're essentially killing the ignition then enabling it again and that causes a RPM drop. It's also odd that I can hear the RPM change but I don't see it when going between BOTH, R, L in runup tests. Moral is don't be overly sensitive about it, there's nothing you can really do to fix it, I think it's just a test to ensure it's working as expected, what that expectation is really isn't in black and white as to go / no-go. I can tell you that when it's not right you will know which happened from the incident

Good to hear. I’ve noticed the same thing. Inbetween positions is where the dip occurs. However, right is lower than left. Much to test out before freaking out phase occurs.
I replace my plugs at every condition inspection, we're lucky, they're cheap. And after my first condition inspection with the CubCrafters "" service center "" (I put that in quotes for a reason) I wasn't happy with the gapping of the plugs so when I got home I replaced them again. With that said I just replaced mine and they looked terrible and I run LOP and lean at idle. Last night I did a further test of how far I could lean at idle (1000) before the engine got rough and I'm going to be leaning more aggressively at idle/taxi to again try to keep these plugs in the best shape possible. Maybe it's normal that plugs look like this after a year but I'm going to do my best to keep things in top order.

Interesting. Are you running the iridiums? I believe they include them now. Thanks for sharing your experience. You’ve calmed me down a bit!

Thanks! I’m grabbing them. I’m always playing catch-up with parts

Latest resources

Back