• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

International Jumpseating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've been told not to wear the uniform for international JS'ing. I'm really not sure why but that's what I was told.

Also, a note to the original poster. You probably already know this but jumpseating is pretty much restricted to US carriers. Most foreign carriers don't enjoy the same benefit we have.

Don't wear uniform unless you want to be treated by custom agents thinking you are trying to do something funny, and you'll have looks from pax that isn't worth it. Once you step inside US border, do whatever you want, it may help with TSA.

About luggage, it's a rather country-by country standards. Some country would let you carry the tank on, some country would be very picky. At least when you go thru security overseas, they don't want your shoes off!

Tax wise, at LGW, it's about 110 last time i went thru, AMS was about 85, and i got lucky and didn't get charged by CDG. I think Europe wise, expect about 80-100 range for tax.

Be at the airport at least 3 hours early, so you have time to: 1) Stand in line for the ticket counter (not the check-in counter), 2) Explain to them what J/S means (Staff travel usually works pretty good), 3) They will collect your tax money, give you a receipt, issue you a gate pass to go thru custom, 4) Go thru security, 5) Wait at the gate for the crew to show up (Usually 1 hour prior to dept is their show time), 6) Explain to the gate agent what J/S means again, and 7) Try to sweet talk your way to a business class with the purser. 8) While serving meals, do not choose your meal unless offered first!! Most likely you will get your choice, but it's just a courtesy for paying customers to choose first.

There you have it, it's my little guide to overseas js.

Don't wear uniform unless you want to be treated by custom agents thinking you are trying to do something funny, and you'll have looks from pax that isn't worth it. Once you step inside US border, do whatever you want, it may help with TSA.

About luggage, it's a rather country-by country standards. Some country would let you carry the tank on, some country would be very picky. At least when you go thru security overseas, they don't want your shoes off!

Tax wise, at LGW, it's about 110 last time i went thru, AMS was about 85, and i got lucky and didn't get charged by CDG. I think Europe wise, expect about 80-100 range for tax.

Be at the airport at least 3 hours early, so you have time to: 1) Stand in line for the ticket counter (not the check-in counter), 2) Explain to them what J/S means (Staff travel usually works pretty good), 3) They will collect your tax money, give you a receipt, issue you a gate pass to go thru custom, 4) Go thru security, 5) Wait at the gate for the crew to show up (Usually 1 hour prior to dept is their show time), 6) Explain to the gate agent what J/S means again, and 7) Try to sweet talk your way to a business class with the purser. 8) While serving meals, do not choose your meal unless offered first!! Most likely you will get your choice, but it's just a courtesy for paying customers to choose first.

There you have it, it's my little guide to overseas js.

That's a pretty good little guide, I've done exactly that and have had no problems jumpseating to Europe and Asia a number of times the last few years.

I'd add to keep in mind that check-in counters and ticket counters can be far apart at some overseas airports. Make sure you're at the right one because they have no idea what a jumpseater is at the check-in counters.

And forget wearing a uniform internationally. Just make sure you still meet your host airline's jumpseater dress code (typically business or business-casual).

RE: International Departure Taxes. These vary by airport and also by the airport you're flying to. For example flying AMS-PHL on US I paid 40 euro, and only a month later flying AMS-MSP on NW I paid 65 euro. From Asia, departure taxes *tend* to be cheaper. From Bangkok, for example, the departure tax is 500 baht ($15) and to transfer in Tokyo you'll pay $12 departure tax.

The UK doubled their departure taxes from several airports including GTW and LHR last year, so they're pretty ridiculous especially once you figure in the atrocious USD-GBP exchange rate. Avoid transferring in Great Britain if you're going to/from elsewhere in Europe!

And forget wearing a uniform internationally. Just make sure you still meet your host airline's jumpseater dress code (typically business or business-casual).

I have never heard that one before. I know that foreign carriers don't like it when you wear your uniform as a pax and some even have a prohibition against it (KLM even puts it on our ticket profile). I find going through security in other countries is a little easier in uniform.

flew Delta to Athens, GR a few months ago out of JFK. They were great. With Delta MAKE SURE you check in at the ticket counter and be at the gate 1:15 prior. You will pay your departure taxes at the ticket counter.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back