Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

international flying, ICAO rules, good sources etc...?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

huncowboy

Guys/girls I have just started to do some Central America and the islands.

I quickly realized that I know nothing about international ICAO rules etc... My company has a very good guide for each airport but I would like to look up some regs for myself. Is there an ICAO equivalent of AIM or something? Where can I get it?

Also a question about corssing FIRs. Do we "always" have to call 10 min prior to crossing an FIR? I have seen some notes on charts like Havanna you call 10 min prior but what if there is no note like that. Is 10 min call an ICAO standard? We got bitched out by Houston the other day because we called early on our way back from Mexico.

Thanks!

If your Jepp library has it, the Frankfurt Text can answer all of those questions on a country specific basis. More comprehensive than the info boxes that are on the en-route charts.

All nations that are subscribers to ICAO (including the USA) have their own variants on ATC procedures and regulations, transition altitudes and levels varies from country to country. JEPPS can supply you with specific REGS,EN ROUTE and ATC procedures from each country, it is easy to obtain from the JEPP web site and you can just buy them and print them before you go to a new destination.

About your question on the 10 minute call, this is the type of information that you will find in the EN ROUTE section from the nation that you are flying to. The answer is "NO" each country has its own determined procedure for boundary crossings and reporting.

The AIM: Most developed countries have their own printed version of the AIM, but again is not a one size fits all. If you get the publications that I mentioned before, you will obtain the basic information that you need to operate in and out of each specific country. Unless you are interested to know the width and distance from the edge of the airport markings or how many candles of luminescence are the taxiway lights, or the interval of the leadoff lights from the runway. If you do? well by all means buy each AIM from each country you are going to visit and study away. Me, I have a life

Thanks guys! Is this Frankurt text the "HP6000" ? I guess it is the Denver Text for Central America. Pretty pricey for $146.00. Ouch... I guess I will learn as I go then LOL.

Does Spirit issue you a copy of Text Frankfurt or is one available in the plane? If not, I certainly wouldn't cough up the money to buy it. It'll give you a comprehensive breakdown of flight rules/customs requirements/vaccination requirements etc.., which is of course useful, but as far as flight rules goes (speed restrictions, transition level/altitudes etc), you'll find the majority of what you need to know on your approach plates and enroute charts.

You could possibly study each country's version of the AIM (if you can find a copy), but keep in mind that for just flying in and out of one of two airports and spending fairly limited time in their airspace, that country's AIM might be a just little excessive reading. Your best bet would be to ask around and talk to captains and FOs who have been there and ask for any useful hints and advice.

Does Spirit issue you a copy of Text Frankfurt or is one available in the plane? If not, I certainly wouldn't cough up the money to buy it. It'll give you a comprehensive breakdown of flight rules/customs requirements/vaccination requirements etc.., which is of course useful, but as far as flight rules goes (speed restrictions, transition level/altitudes etc), you'll find the majority of what you need to know on your approach plates and enroute charts.

You could possibly study each country's version of the AIM (if you can find a copy), but keep in mind that for just flying in and out of one of two airports and spending fairly limited time in their airspace, that country's AIM might be a just little excessive reading. Your best bet would be to ask around and talk to captains and FOs who have been there and ask for any useful hints and advice.

Thanks for the advice Mr. Dahut. How is life treating you? I see a big steak in my future may be in a week or two if I can get a hold of J.K. Is he on a trip?

Latest resources

Back