Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scubabri

Junior Mint
I just got back from a trip down to south america, and although it was fun, I have some questions about airspace transitions and the like.

Where can I find info on FIR's, and airspace entry requirements, communication requirments, etc etc.

Thanks.

Brian

Single source:
IFM - International Flight Information Manual
Available from FAA & Jeppesen

Individual publications from each country:
AIP - Aeronautical Information Publication (IACO version of AIM with more details about maps, airspace and so on.)

The corporate guys can probably fill in with practical details about this.

scubabri:
I'm sure there are other sources as mentioned in the previous post, but this information is all printed on the enroute charts. Info such as where the FIR is located, who "owns" the airspace, type of airspace (class A, G, etc), what freq to use and when the controlling agency needs to be contacted (ie: 10 minutes before FIR boundry). Hope this helps.

Basically, I'm looking for any gotchas, or stuff that may be radically different from US airspace that will get me into trouble. I found that in filing flight plans, in South America, they are pretty insistant about knowing approx when you will be crossing a FIR.

I'm also trying to find out who may shoot me down if I don't have the right freq, or can't contact someone before entering an airspace.

:)

Brian

whoaaa...

nobodys gonna shoot ya down, heck, half the time they dont even want to talk to you!

FIRs are easily seen on the high charts, and many frequencies are published there. dont sweat the airspace either.

It is common for nobody to be on frequencies, always try and get a backup HF freq or start randomly calling on the chart. Plan to stay on your route the entire time, rarely do you even get cleared to the next boundary. So be it...VHF is getting better, especially if routed over Brasilia, but still a lot of HF..Yes, they will want your your ETA at thier FIR boundary, within 3 minutes (I think??) ebtry requirements beyond what is listed in your Jepps should be asked to your handler (Universal, BaseOps, etc)

Approaches are a little more confusing than the US (just a little)
there may be 4-5 ILS's to the same runway, you will get assigned one depending on your arrival fix. No big deal. Places I recall this are B.A, S Paulo, Rio, Montevideo maybe Santiago...they also have "teardrop" type patterns to get established instead of the typical holding patterns we have. Departure slots are not as bad as Europe or Asia but I would be in touch with ATC or a good handler if you knew you were running late. As always, a good handler is KEY.

Be sure to get your Brazil Visa stamped, insist on it when you stop there.,even if you just fuel in Manaus or Boa Vista. Once stamped it is good for 5 years, if not I think only 90 days. They like to make you buy another one for 60$...

Be sure each pilot is type rated, that is a requirement for Brazil at least. Falcon pilots will tell you - having a DA50 on your type rating may not cut it - bring a seperate piece of paper from the FAA saying that a DA50 rating lets you fly a DA900 also.....picky, picky....Aircraft paperwork MUST be in order. I have had it not looked at whatsoever to a 45 min inquisition....again picky, picky..
OH, Yellow fever shot is required for Brazil now also. Shot is good for 15 (?) years.

SARS has scared them also. be warned that they may look at each pax now. If anyone looks sick or is coughing its immedialty 14 days quarantine, no questions asked. From what was said at the Intl operators conference this HAS already happened. Imagine having a slight cold and winding up in a SA hospital for 2 weeks.... F&*K THAT. Leave sick pax HOME.

My limited experience has been all good in SA. The people really are pretty friendly and the babes are just freakin' hottys. Dont drink the water (bring your own) No drinks with ICE either. Food is not too bad, the beef is actually very good.

Have Fun!....

A good start is to ask for general differences when flying in all foreign countries
Most foreign countries follow the ICAO standards, even more so than we do here in the US.
Many of these differences have little practical influence on the how you actually operate your aircraft.
There are however some important differences, one example is varous altimeter setting procedures. There was a thread about this some time ago, try to search for transition level or transition altitude.
AIP USA has a DIFF (differences) section that lists the main differences between US and ICAO standards.

Don't forget to scour the enroute charts for notes. For instance, I always forget that Miami center wants a call 10 minutes prior to entering the FIR. The note for that is in green ink on the chart.

Watch those Brazilian visas.

If you have been to most any part of Africa, Colombia, Peru or a few other South American countries, you will need to have not only the yellow fever vaccine, but a certificate proving such, and it must be ten days before you enter the country. And yes, they can give you the vaccination at the airport, but then you get to stay there for ten more days...

Dan

absolutly.

Yellow Fever must be given to you at least 10 days before hitting the ground in Brazil.

And Yes, obviously carry your yellow "shot card" with all those good vaccinations recorded accuratly!

You will no doubt need that Hepatits series if you wind up in a Brazilian Hospital, Jail, or Hooker...(just joking)

Colombia--they will shoot you down, depending on what type of airplane you are flying an where. But my friend caught a missle with a C-182, it just went through and didn't detonate, so that is a comfort.

Latest resources

Back