Internal Hiring Minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FoxyWhiskey

Just curious if anyone has info concerning the internal hiring process at their regional carrier, from a non-flying position to a pilot position. Are the flight time minimums lowered or the same as published and is there an advantage in the application process? Looking for facts, not speculation. Thanks so much....

-FW

Just curious if anyone has info concerning the internal hiring process at their regional carrier, from a non-flying position to a pilot position. Are the flight time minimums lowered or the same as published and is there an advantage in the application process? Looking for facts, not speculation. Thanks so much....

-FW

I know for a fact that flight minimums are lowered. At the very least you're pretty much in unless you say something stupid at the interview, like I see myself at Fedex or UPS in 5 years.

-FW

It depends. With the new regs that could come from Congress, who knows. Typically, the mins are reduced, but if you suck at your office job, you won't get hired as a pilot. Most airlines right now aren't hiring office workers either though.

Yeah that about sums it up. Though in the "good" days of hiring, quite a few people came to Pinnacle as schedulers, clerk, etc, and had Comm/ME/Inst or worked on getting it, and then got an interview shot. But that's no different than hiring commercial wet ink jet bridge program people. Now, there is no hiring. I know for fact there is a Comm/ME/Inst pilot working as a scheduler at Pinnacle. Hopefully we'll hire soon. Gotta wait and see how this displacement shakes things out.

I was working at a region which is now defunct.
As a dispatcher, I was told ME/Comm inst and I was in class.
Then PCL 3701 happened and internal mins jumped to 900/100.

I'm encouraging my younger sister to do this as an option, she's been furloughed the last 4 mos. from a crappy Part 135 operation. I can only offer so much help because I left the 121 world a while ago and not sure what a regional airline can offer when it comes to internal employee transfers.

I'm assuming that once you're off probation, done a great job in your initial job capacity, kept instrument current and continue to study, and you meet the mins (or are atleast close) one would have a pretty good shot of at getting atleast an interview. She has a Bachelors degree, clean FAA & DMV records, 1100TT, 650 ME, of which 500+ ME Turbine time. She continues to fly small stuff at the local airport, but I think it's pretty useless and quite a waste of money at this point.

She has a great attitude and is excited to work, but I just don't want to see her start something (ramp, working the gate/tkt counter, being an FA, etc) that will only slow her flight career.

As most of us already know, it's going to be hard (but not impossible) to fly on the side and build those last 400 hours while working full time. At about 10 hours a month of x/c flying for a $100 hamburger, she will potentially have set herself back about 5 years. I'm a believer that if it's not consistent flying, what's the point. People who do this, need to get some useful experience out of it. I think it will be a good experience for her and keep her in the industry, but I need info.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, I really appreciate it!

-FW

When I applied at FedEx I was contacted by their engineering dept about working for them. They have or had a program where you worked for 3 years I think it was, then you get fast tracked into pilot training. I didn't look into it, so I'm not sure what all the details were. I know people at skywest who got in with under the mins since they were FAs, but it's rare and it was when we were hiring like crazy.

Scott

I'm encouraging my younger sister to do this as an option, she's been furloughed the last 4 mos. from a crappy Part 135 operation. I can only offer so much help because I left the 121 world a while ago and not sure what a regional airline can offer when it comes to internal employee transfers.

I'm assuming that once you're off probation, done a great job in your initial job capacity, kept instrument current and continue to study, and you meet the mins (or are atleast close) one would have a pretty good shot of at getting atleast an interview. She has a Bachelors degree, clean FAA & DMV records, 1100TT, 650 ME, of which 500+ ME Turbine time. She continues to fly small stuff at the local airport, but I think it's pretty useless and quite a waste of money at this point.

She has a great attitude and is excited to work, but I just don't want to see her start something (ramp, working the gate/tkt counter, being an FA, etc) that will only slow her flight career.

As most of us already know, it's going to be hard (but not impossible) to fly on the side and build those last 400 hours while working full time. At about 10 hours a month of x/c flying for a $100 hamburger, she will potentially have set herself back about 5 years. I'm a believer that if it's not consistent flying, what's the point. People who do this, need to get some useful experience out of it. I think it will be a good experience for her and keep her in the industry, but I need info.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, I really appreciate it!

-FW

you should have encouraged her to get out of flying. i can't imagine encouraging my worst enemies to fly for a living. let alone my family members....

Latest resources

Back