Intermittent alternator light warnings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JimG

During my last 2 flights in my 340, both of my alternator lights and low voltage light came on, but the guage was showing that they were each putting out full power.

The prop synch light and the gear lights (red) came on at the same time too.

The first incident was not a "problem", we were in VMC and it lasted less than 30 seconds.

The second incident 2 days later came on while in IMC, (with light rime accumulating on the prop spinners) and lasted a minute or two.

I had it looked at today and they can't find anything wrong, and of course....the lights didn't come on either.

Any ideas?

JimG said:
During my last 2 flights in my 340, both of my alternator lights and low voltage light came on, but the guage was showing that they were each putting out full power.

The prop synch light and the gear lights (red) came on at the same time too.

Unrelated electrical gremlins occuring at the same time are usually the result of chaffed wires shorting each other. I once drove a freinds truck that would only start if the windsheild wipers were on ;).

The only real solution is to chase the wires to see if there is any chaffing. Unfortunately this can be very labor intesive and expensive.

Since these were all warning lights, they may be close to each other behind the pannel.

Good luck

Just spit-balling here, don't know much about 340s or prop jobs for that matter, but try checking to see if they have a common bus bar. It they do, then check the terminals (lugs) for loose wiring.

Don't forget to disconnect the battery first before checking the bus bar!!!!!

Safety first

Is there a "press to test" circuit that is common to all the lights that came on at the same time? :confused: ??
icon24.gif

Thanks guys.

All the standard "tests" that you all mentioned were done earlier this week, except checking the wires for chafing.

God...I hope that's not it.

Weather permitting, I'm going out of town with her for a trip.

The forecast is for rain on Monday morning, and I'm not real excited about hard IMC with this intermittent problem.

I think we would all like to know what you eventually find.

I am still betting on the wire terminals on the bus bar.

Latest resources

Back