Interesting possible concept for new frax service

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some Dude said:
Some Guy bite me. I was just asking what the pay was. I don't need pity. Just some info.

No problem in asking about pay. I just didn't see the need to try to hijack the thread with your contract issues. There are other threads for that.

Have a nice day!

Well I read an article in the FOK fbo about them and they've hired Bob Schmidt. Ask anyone who worked for Allegheny or Flexjet about him, real jackass.

I could have sworn that I heard DayJet was looking for 'pilot investors' or something to that effect. Basically, you buy a small share in the company and fly for "your" company. I would not think there would be many takers.

I think somebody could definitely profit from a "shuttle" type service where they have prescheduled flights. Markets such as DC-NY, LA-Vegas among others.

smellthejeta said:
I think somebody could definitely profit from a "shuttle" type service where they have prescheduled flights. Markets such as DC-NY, LA-Vegas among others.

I’m giving this post 4 hours from right now 15:15 (EST) until someone flames this statement with multitudes of “smarke-ash” remarks.

Myself of course; I’m keeping the high ground.

How?

I have seen nowhere, indications for satisfaction of the following FAR's for this aircraft and cannot imagine the $1M smooth will hold-up to these requirements and/or be anywhere near profitable.

Just because I can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. However, theories work great on paper and must be proven to become factual. Until that day, I would leave this pipe-dream alone.

Check-out FAR 135.

153/4

By the time it is outfitted, you have a $1.5M+ aircraft with two pilots and a usable load of only 2 to 3 people and a couple hours of gas. Add that to a westerly track in the middle of winter and you are going nowhere fast. After 25 hours or more of proving and validation flights in addition to pilot training and proficiency checks (no simulator school in works yet either), you are in an awfully deep hole and the average "day" trip in the "dayjet" will only bring in an average of $5500.00 in revenue (4-5 hrs @ 1200 to 1500 per hour). Competing against other charter outfits in roomier cabin turbo-props that will carry all these "daytripper's" crap and only take 30 minutes (at most) longer on the same trip...NO CONTEST! You would have to sell it at a lower price point and get the volume. Then you are doing a 100 hour every month and factoring that down-time into your monthly revenue potential.

Just a little business 101 for the interested.

I do wish them luck. Neat idea, however, tough to compete with the Pilatus like some have noted flying @ 265 kIAS carrying 3300#'s useful and a cabin larger than the BE20.

100-1/2

100-1/2 said:
I do wish them luck. Neat idea, however, tough to compete with the Pilatus like some have noted flying @ 265 kIAS carrying 3300#'s useful and a cabin larger than the BE20.

100-1/2

Exactly. I hope you're right, my job is counting on it!

The 1M smooth has held up pretty darn well, and it even has instruments and dual controls, gee whiz. Costs less than 1/2 the price of that single engine propeller boat, lower hourly cost, and I'm pretty certain that someone venturing into such a grand scheme has factored in those daunting proving run costs.

I think your AME overlooked this:

67.307(a)(2)(i) on your last student pilot issuance

100-1/2 said:
By the time it is outfitted, you have a $1.5M+ aircraft with two pilots and a usable load of only 2 to 3 people and a couple hours of gas. Add that to a westerly track in the middle of winter and you are going nowhere fast. After 25 hours or more of proving and validation flights in addition to pilot training and proficiency checks (no simulator school in works yet either), you are in an awfully deep hole and the average "day" trip in the "dayjet" will only bring in an average of $5500.00 in revenue (4-5 hrs @ 1200 to 1500 per hour). Competing against other charter outfits in roomier cabin turbo-props that will carry all these "daytripper's" crap and only take 30 minutes (at most) longer on the same trip...NO CONTEST! You would have to sell it at a lower price point and get the volume. Then you are doing a 100 hour every month and factoring that down-time into your monthly revenue potential.

Just a little business 101 for the interested.

100-1/2

You've hit the nail on the head. with 2 pilots and 3 pax and 50 lbs of 'stuff', you're gonna' be able to haul about an hour's worth of fuel, with a little reserve. Also, no matter how sophisticated your computer system is, it's gonna' be very very difficult to find 3 people at the destination of your last leg that wanna' go to the same destination on your next leg, where there will magically be 3 pax waiting for the 3rd leg, etc., etc., etc.
Ponder that one for a while.
AND, if you actually charge enough that a load factor of 1.3 will cover ALL costs, you run up against the problem that 100-1/2 mentioned: Cheaper charter with a bigger plane at a cost of 10 minutes extra flight time. The little micro-jets are cool (Stop by the Eclipse factory in Albuquerque some time for a tour. They're making a really nifty little airplane), but the SkyTaxi idea doesn't pencil out.

Hi!

I read yesterday that people with order positions for the Eclipse jet have been offered 2-3x what they are going to pay for them, so it's obviously a VERY popular airplane.

Cliff
YIP

Latest resources

Back