Interesting Delta Pilot Numbers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Spooky 1

Currently there are only 281 Delta pilots with over 20 years of service. Approximately half of the Delta pilots have less than 10 years service. Those are unbelievable numbers for this pilot group. If they can pull through and bring some balance to future contracts, this could be a great place with flying opportunities that would have taken years more to reach. I wouldn't trade places with them, but at least there might be some upside to this debacle.

actually I see this exactly the opposite. We now have a very young pilot group. There will be very little retirements in the next 5-10 years, and thus very little movement absent growth. Anyone want to bet on movement via growth?

michael707767 said:
actually I see this exactly the opposite. We now have a very young pilot group. There will be very little retirements in the next 5-10 years, and thus very little movement absent growth. Anyone want to bet on movement via growth?

Your point certainly has soem validity. Obviously it depends where you are on the current list. If you are in the upper half, things could be pretty good where you are flying international way before your normal time would allow. If on the other hand you are in the bottom half, it might be a long shallow career. The wild card obviously is any mergers(s) that probably are around the corner and how they impact your individual positions.

michael707767 said:

I agree. I'm finally at the same place on the seniority list (percentage wise) that I was in the summer of 2001. If all else stays the same, once DAL gets their category staffing squared away, no one is going to moving much at all until 2013...the next time there will be any appreciable retirements. If the retirement age changes, add X number of years to that.

I know that this is on of the deepest downcycles in the history of the airlines and things will most likely improve, but it sure looks pretty grim without any new growth.

What about all them retired captains that came back after collecting the lump sum?

They still on the property..?

...so they can take jobs at Southern, Atlas, Kallita, Tradewinds, Focus, Polar, etc. that furloughed guys out there REALLY NEED.

furloughfodder said:
...so they can take jobs at Southern, Atlas, Kallita, Tradewinds, Focus, Polar, etc. that furloughed guys out there REALLY NEED.

I kind of doubt that you will see many if any of these guys jumping over to the airlines you have mentioned. Perhaps a few will take a stab at some of the Asian carriers for DEC spots, but even those will be far a few between.

There seems to be a common theme on this board that somehow when you get to be a certain age, and don't mean 60, that you should stand aside and let the younger guys step up to the watering hole. I can feel frustration and certainly your need to provide for your family, but the right to work applies to everyone and in this case these pilots "may" be more qualified for "some" of the work that is available. If you were age 50, would think that somehow you should not be allowed to apply for a job? I doubt it.

I just met a newhire in our crew room the other day. He was an early retirement Delta 757/767 Captain. He was darn glad to get the chance here too. Very nice gentleman to talk to and great to have him and his years of experience on board.

FreightNazi said:
I just met a newhire in our crew room the other day. He was an early retirement Delta 757/767 Captain. He was darn glad to get the chance here too. Very nice gentleman to talk to and great to have him and his years of experience on board.

Where do you work? I guess that blows my above post!

Latest resources

Back