• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting article on SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You get used to everything in time. Moto has always been..............Work hard and Play hard. It is very appropriate. The CD the union has done with Dan Akins was very well done up and truely shows the very competative edge that SWA has now and will also have in the future.

Hey BBB...

A couple a days ago, all your cargo buddies claimed I had a chip on my shoulder. I think they got it all wrong. I think you're an a$$.

That should give you something to think about on your next sort while you sleep in one of those lazyboys... thats what you sound like a "lazy boy" how fitting. I guess, I'll have to wait until midnight or so for your response, since your sleeping now.:laugh: Or maybe your getting over one of your 36 hour in Hawaii drinking layovers....any case, I can't wait.:puke:

Last edited:
What I found most interesting in this article is the historic pricing levels to the legacies. SWA is up to something. Otherwise they would have earned 2 bil last year.

On the productivity side. I find you have two different traditions with an airline. Love the airline and help them out. Hate the airline and try to fly the least amount you can by working the system that has been given to you.

Working Hard vs. Really Working

As a regional puke with an interview (finally), I would like to know what his idea of hard work is. I have flown an average of 850 hrs a year with 11 days off at my company (10 on reserve), for the last 7 years. I have finally surpassed the starting pay at SWA with my transition to a RJ. Add on top of that lousy medical and dental. ( twice the cost of other regionals) Constant troubles with management, and worrying if I will get fired for calling in sick for a trip. And never being able to drop a trip because lack of reserve coverage. And i never feel 'secure' at this company.

Compare this to what i see from the majority of SWA pilots that are happy and excited about their company. I was told trips are 3 on and 4 off, or 4 on 3 off. Reserves have about 15 days off a month and line holders can have the same or more if they like. And the ability to trade or drop trips so that you can almost be normal and have a family life. And finally the best part of all .... They actually pay me to do this stuff!!!

My thoughts...

Big Beer Belly said:
That article sounds great for the outlook of SWA. I couldn't help but notice, however, the repeated use of the term "most productive" and "increased employee productivity" as being the key for continued success. It sure sounds like you'all earn your money working there and will be expected to work even harder to ensure continued profitability.

My question is ... doesn't anyone ever get burned out from working so hard (766 block hrs avg/yr) ... or is everyone simply resigned to the fact that this is what is required in order to work at a "secure" airline?

BBB

Latest resources

Back