• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting article on Alliances and where the industry is headed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You know that article is complete BS when the author writes about the Captain turing to the co-pilot and saying"...“I said to my young co-pilot, ‘There’s the war you’re going to fight.’".

Because...
1. No one at American is "young" --or as I would say "young" to the industry.
2. Everyone at American already knows this to be true.

Also, why is the author riding in the cockpit? "...Then he looks at me and says, ‘Well, at least it says AA in little letters on the tail.’ ”"

The author wasnt in the cockpit, the 'me' referenced the Captain. I agree though, corny opening paragraph and I doubt the conversation went just like that.

On the subject of the Alliances, I do think that is the direction things are headed ultimately. Individual airline brand names will be reduced to small text printed on the nose of the aircraft much in the way we see "Operated by Republic Airways" on regional feed today.

Its gonna get ugly

The article is 100% accurate.

In the 1990's I read a book by Niedl and Ott predicting that within 5 years only 3 megacarriers, some regionals, and SWA will be operating in the US. It's taken a bit longer than they predicted but I'd say their prophecy will be fulfilled in another 5.

If cabotage is dismantled (and it will if trends are followed), then globally there will be 3 alliances, with the metal being moved by the cheapest labor. Throw in some super-efficient short-haul LCC's and some regional feeders and you've got an efficient, free-market, liberalized, globalized industry.

The author wasnt in the cockpit, the 'me' referenced the Captain. I agree though, corny opening paragraph and I doubt the conversation went just like that.

Come on...it is in the New York Times, you have to believe that.

The me, has to be a third person...why would he turn to himself?

The article is 100% accurate.

In the 1990's I read a book by Niedl and Ott predicting that within 5 years only 3 megacarriers, some regionals, and SWA will be operating in the US. It's taken a bit longer than they predicted but I'd say their prophecy will be fulfilled in another 5.

If cabotage is dismantled (and it will if trends are followed), then globally there will be 3 alliances, with the metal being moved by the cheapest labor. Throw in some super-efficient short-haul LCC's and some regional feeders and you've got an efficient, free-market, liberalized, globalized industry.

Sadly, I think this is also the way it's going to go as well.

Come on...it is in the New York Times, you have to believe that.

The me, has to be a third person...why would he turn to himself?

Notice the quotation marks:

I said to my young co-pilot, ‘There’s the war you’re going to fight.’ Then he looks at me and says, ‘Well, at least it says AA in little letters on the tail.’

The entire quote is from the Captain, who is quoting himself

Latest resources

Back