• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting article about DAL/NWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Please explain your union work background. For such strong opinions about how union leaders should behave, I would hope that you have some sort of experience in this work.

Why do we care at all about an RJDC pogue's opinion.

NO IDEA what RJDC is...I am sure you have some absurd little tic in your head about something, but you WILL care what the opions are of others in all aspects of aviation, including the fracs, when the cycle changes YET again, and the majors fall all the way to the end of a very bad path that this DL/NWA thing (and USAir/AWA) has been heading.
Go ahead, say it will never happen...but it already has started. Now what are YOU going to do about it?

Please explain your union work background. For such strong opinions about how union leaders should behave, I would hope that you have some sort of experience in this work.

I don't owe you any explanations about anything.
Rah!Rah! Go ALPA!
Oh yeah....how's that been working out for you lately?
YOUR experience has yielded such success, congrats.
Love the avatar

Not all but it's an aweful lot of one guys opinion who happens to have a 20+ year ax to grind. Inappropriate is an opinion. I want the pilot group to have a win-win relationship with management and you should as well. The best compensated groups in the industry do. That doesn't mean you don't work for the best possible contract and be ready for any eventuality. How has an adversarial relationship with management benefited you?

I understand the idea of wanting to have a good relationship with mgmt but we cant forget that these mgmts are the same people that cut the pay and retirements and would do it all over again. They arent looking out for our best interests, hence the need for unions, right?

Moak predicted, "Northwest pilots will be on board shortly. It's a temporary problem and we'll work through it together." "
Super92, Thank you for your post.

Of all the people quoted in the article Moak is likely the most credible.

I understand the idea of wanting to have a good relationship with mgmt but we cant forget that these mgmts are the same people that cut the pay and retirements and would do it all over again. They arent looking out for our best interests, hence the need for unions, right?
Yes and no. Our union just negotiated with our management for a raise & job protections. Get on board & we can do better.

I don't owe you any explanations about anything.
Rah!Rah! Go ALPA!
Oh yeah....how's that been working out for you lately?
YOUR experience has yielded such success, congrats.
Love the avatar

In other words, you have no union work experience, and you have no understanding of what it takes to be successful in union work. Your criticisms of Captain Moak are ridiculous.

You can work with management on occasion while still remembering that they are not your buddy. DALPA worked with management to fend off the USAirways acquisition, and that was a very smart move. Captain Moak compromised no principles in that action, and the ultimate result was what was best for the airline and the pilots. Good leaders understand when it benefits the union to work with management, and when it doesn't.

I worked with Moak and Muth (quoted in the article) -- both good dudes. If you don't work at Delta, and don't know Lee -- you think you really have a credible opinion of him?

Hopefully it's a "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" type of relationship.

Either way it doesn't matter. Just read today that there is a $165 MILLION dollar penalty to the company that walks away from the merger, and Steenlands' contract got amended to a post merger payout of like $11 million - BUT the extra $4 million is ONLY if the merger goes through!

Guess we are going to enjoy the ride no matter what...

The full article: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080418/northwest_steenland.html?.v=3

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back