Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Not Sure

Hi, first post.

I'm working on my instrument, part 61. Came across something on this site that I had not heard:

http://www.flightinfo.com/instrument.htm

There it states that the X-Country time used to meet 50 hrs for instrument cannot include x-country PIC from private training.

Is this true? This is the only place I've seen that, and I could not find a mention of that in the 61.65. If its true, it's just another kilobuck, but I wasn't planning on that exclusion.

Thanks!!

It's talking about the dual XC time in private training...that wasn't PIC time yet, since you weren't rated for the aircraft.

I don't think it's only talking about the duals. It says,

"50 hours as pilot-in-command (P.I.C) time cross country, not counting the 10 hours from your private cross-countries."

It's wrong. Of course, since the private only requires 8 hours of cross country time (3 dual and 5 solo), I have no idea what it's talking about anyway. Your student =solo= cross countries count toward the 50 hour cross country PIC time needed for the instrument rating.

midlifeflyer said:
"50 hours as pilot-in-command (P.I.C) time cross country, not counting the 10 hours from your private cross-countries."

That goes way back to a time when 10 hours solo x/c was required and the logging reg was worded so that the solo hours as a student were not logged as PIC, they were solo only. You logged PIC after Private, as well as solo and PIC if that were the case. That goes way back and this site has old, old information on that point.

nosehair said:
That goes way back to a time when 10 hours solo x/c was required and the logging reg was worded so that the solo hours as a student were not logged as PIC, they were solo only.
Your memory is good. And I didn't realize that the information on the site was that old.

Latest resources

Back