Instrument PTS,,need help understanding

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MooneyPilot

Hello, I was looking at the matrix part of the Instrument pts and for someone adding an Instrument Airplane it says none under area of operation 1 , 3, 5, but area 1 is Weather information, area 3 is Airtraffic control clearences, holding and area 5 is naviagtion systems-intercepting and tracking. These are all very important?? Please let me know if I am reading the PTS wrong or how I can make sense of it,,thanks

What ratings do you have now? Are you currently instrument certified in something else (such as rotorcraft or powered lift?)

If you don't currently have an instrument rating on your certificate, you will need to complete all of the maneuvers/tasks in the PTS.

If you have one already and want to add an additional rating, look at the table. You said you wanted to add the Instrument-Airplane rating (IA) so you will need to complete only the tasks listed.

The various steps that are listed as NONE, are skipped because it is assumed that if you are already instrument rated, you know how to do the basic things like check the weather, plan a flight, get your clearance. However that doesn't mean that it isn't within the examiner's discretion to cover that material. It just means that he/she doesn't necessarily have to in order for you to complete your ride.

Last edited:
^^What he said, everything is game and will be covered. Very hard checkride, but study, know your regs, remember how to hold, and you'll be ok. KNOW 91.175 like the back of your hand... also look for little notes in the plates you'll use during the fllight like takeoff mins or equipment requirements or unusual ATIS requirements from other airports (near the top of the plate, typically under radio freqs.)

Good luck!

spudskier said:
^^What he said, everything is game and will be covered. Very hard checkride, but study, know your regs, remember how to hold, and you'll be ok. KNOW 91.175 like the back of your hand... also look for little notes in the plates you'll use during the fllight like takeoff mins or equipment requirements or unusual ATIS requirements from other airports (near the top of the plate, typically under radio freqs.)

Good luck!
stupid holds... failed my stupid test b/c of stupid holds.... i hate holds... stupid.

here's what my examiner told me if you cannot remember how to enter the hold: if all else fails, parallel. you might get scolded for entering wrong, but you'll stay in the protected area and you'll show some sense in choosing to do so.

hehe breathe! I assume the retest went well? just picture that oval in your head, (like a blank piece of paper with an oval) then place your plane in the appropriate place on that piece of paper in relation to the fix... which entry at that point makes the most sense... does direct work? tear drop? nothing that requires tooo much of a turn to enter the hold

yeah, i passed. holds were the one thing that we didnt' review before my checkride b/c, come on, they're CAKE, right?

wrong. i can do them now, but man, how embarrassed/pissed off was i when we landed...

I've seen some interesting hold entries from students and have had quite the debates about entering holds on the ground. A lot of people think they have the right to enter the hold anyway they please and I dont mean using a teardrop instead of a parallel. Ive seen some very creative enteries that I dont even know how to begin explaining them.

There isn't a hold that can't be entered direct, it's just a matter of bank angle!

Latest resources

Back