Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
is there such thing as an MEII? or if you have a multi add-on and are a CFII, does that automatically qualify you for teaching instruments in a ME airplane?

No. If you have a CFII and just a regular MER, then your not capable of giving instrument instruction in a twin. to do this, you need an MEI.

kj6991 said:
No. If you have a CFII and just a regular MER, then your not capable of giving instrument instruction in a twin. to do this, you need an MEI.

I respectfully disagree. I posed this question to inspectors at 4-5 FSDOs and got the same response (the same response as on the FAQ page of the Airman Certification division webpage). It is this: You CAN give instrument instruction in a twin with only a CFI/II and a Comm Multi (no MEI), as long as you aren't doing multi-specific training. As long as you aren't failing engines, you are fine. Just make sure you are teaching instrument procedures, not multi procedures. Once you start dealing with single-engine approaches and holding, you need an ME.

Last edited:
cforst513 said:
is there such thing as an MEII? or if you have a multi add-on and are a CFII, does that automatically qualify you for teaching instruments in a ME airplane?

There is no such thing as an MEII. The CFII on your ticket will say "Certified Flight Instructor - Instrument Airplane. It doesn't differentiate between SE and ME.

This one caused us about 2 months of discussion at the school and no one could come up with a hard answer.

The reg says (61.195):

(c) Instrument Rating. A flight instructor who provides instrument flight training for the issuance of an instrument rating or a type rating not limited to VFR must hold an instrument rating on his or her flight instructor certificate and pilot certificate that is appropriate to the category and class of aircraft in which instrument training is being provided.

To me it says if you're doing it in a ME airplane, your CFI certificate has to say "Airplane Multiengine" on it...

-mini

Last edited:
Then why, if 61.195 says that, does my instructor certificate say "Instrument - AIRPLANE?" Not, Instrument - Single Engine

I agree with Minitour,

Becuase the regs further clarify the difference.

You can't put everything on a pilots license. just no room, I would go with what the reg say's.

The only really compelling argument I've heard towards the "yes you can" side was
"My certificate only says "Instrument Airplane", so what can I teach in?

That's a dilly of a pickle for the "no" argument eh?

I say just make it a no-brainer and get the MEI :D

-mini

minitour said:
I say just make it a no-brainer and get the MEI :D

Best advice so far. I have my job, but still wish I had the MEI. Personal acheivment kinda thing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back