Instrument currency

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AWACoff

I've read and reread 61.57. The last time I flew an approach was August of last year. I'm well beyond my 6 month currency. Can I simply go up with a safety pilot and do 6 approaches, holding, intercepting and tracking radials...or do I have to do an ICC?

You can go up with a safety pilot and do everything. You just cannot file IFR unless the safety pilot is rated and is current. You don't need an IPC unless you wait another six months.

If you were current in August, then you need only accomplish your recurrency with a safety pilot aboard, or in a simulator. This assumes that you were fully current, and had all six approaches in August. If your currency expired in August, then you are out of time, and must take an instrument competency check.

The answer to your question depends when the previous approaches and holding were performed, prior to your last approach in August. For example, assuming you did five approaches in March, and your last approachin August, you remained current through the end of September. You then have six months after the end of September in which to fly with a safety pilot to regain currency. That would mean that as of April 01, you would need an ICC.

If your currency expired at the end of August, then your six month "grace" period ends today, and tomrrow (March 1) you require a competency check. You need to look back for the previous six months from the month of your last approach (august) to determine what approaches you made for currency during that time period, and when your currency expired.

You have six months after the month in which your currency expired, to perform your approaches, tracking, and holding, with a safety pilot before being required to undergo an ICC.

For what it's worth, it's usually faster and cheaper, and more worthwhile, to take an instrument competency check, rather than go fly off the approaches with a safety pilot. It may also be worth your while to let an instructor polish off the rust. There are those who claim superhuman skills and abilities, who pick up instrument flying two years later like it was yesterday. Personally, I believe instrument skills are very perishable, and I find that my limit is about three weeks before the rust really sets in. Good luck!!

Thanks guys. I had a 121 PC in August. I'll just knock 'em out with a safety pilot and save the CFII fee. Flying a plane is better than steering a computer.

Dude,

If your 121, then it's a different ballgame. You don't need to worry about this proficiency stuff unless your furloughed or something and want to remain current.

Latest resources

Back