Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Instrument + Commercial - FARs (flight experience)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

Want to get clarification on some FARs for the instrument + commercial ratings

1) for the IFR X-C it is 250 NM round trip distance with instrument approach at each airport and a minimum of 3 different approaches.

Clarifications needed -

a)250 NM is Round Trip distance - correct?
b)3 airports are not required (2 will do fine) - correct?

2) For the commercial - 20 hrs of training required with at least 10 hrs instrument training and 10 in complex aircraft.

Clarifiations needed -

a) 20 hrs includes the 10 in complex airplanes?
b) the instrument training is simulated or actual instrument hours - correct?

On a side note for a student going for his commercial right after his instrument checkride - what instrument procedures would you go over?

3) For the commercial the 2 hour day and night VFR flights of more than 100NM distance are DUAL - correct?

4) Lastly, I know people who have done it (and I don't see any regs that would prohibhit you) but would you advise start working on your commercial requirements prior to getting your instrument or is that frowned upon by examiners?
For example - completing the 300 NM X-C and the 5 hr night VFR Requirements.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Want to get clarification on some FARs for the instrument + commercial ratings

1) for the IFR X-C it is 250 NM round trip distance with instrument approach at each airport and a minimum of 3 different approaches.

Clarifications needed -

a)250 NM is Round Trip distance - correct?
b)3 airports are not required (2 will do fine) - correct?
Right. 3 airports are commonly done, since 3 different approaches are required, and is considered 'best' training, but it doesn't have to be a round trip. it could be from A to B with 3 different approaches at B.

2) For the commercial - 20 hrs of training required with at least 10 hrs instrument training and 10 in complex aircraft.

Clarifiations needed -

a) 20 hrs includes the 10 in complex airplanes?
b) the instrument training is simulated or actual instrument hours - correct?
Yes and yes.

On a side note for a student going for his commercial right after his instrument checkride - what instrument procedures would you go over?
No instrument procedures are on the Commercial Practical Test. Review your PTS.

3) For the commercial the 2 hour day and night VFR flights of more than 100NM distance are DUAL - correct?
YES
4) Lastly, I know people who have done it (and I don't see any regs that would prohibhit you) but would you advise start working on your commercial requirements prior to getting your instrument or is that frowned upon by examiners?
For example - completing the 300 NM X-C and the 5 hr night VFR Requirements.
No problem. Examiners never frown on extra training.
Matter of fact, you could get all your commercial requirements while getting your instrument training, and be prepared to take the commercial right after your instrument.
Good luck.

No problem. Examiners never frown on extra training.
Matter of fact, you could get all your commercial requirements while getting your instrument training, and be prepared to take the commercial right after your instrument.
Good luck.

This is what I did. Gave me some practical experience while building up to the 250TT.

Yeah there is no specific order in which you can do this..Just remember you must have the 250TT before you can get the commercial ticket. For your Commercial, you can rent a 172RG and do the required 10hrs of Instrument simulated or actual and get the complex experience at the same time.

For your Commercial, you can rent a 172RG and do the required 10hrs of Instrument simulated or actual and get the complex experience at the same time.
You realize that the instrument hours you get while getting your IR will satisfy this requirement, right?
And since the checkride is in a complex, the complex time needs to be chandelles, lazy 8s, and proficiency landings, as instructor.

You know, I asked my instructor about this before and he told me otherwise. I was thinking, the way the regulations were written, that you could use post experience to suffice for requirements on earning a different rating....When I said this he said....Look at the regs....what does it say? It says you need :

(a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:
(1) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in airplanes.
(2) 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time, which includes at least—
(i) 50 hours in airplanes; and
(ii) 50 hours in cross-country flight of which at least 10 hours must be in airplanes.
(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(1) of this part that includes at least—
(i) Ten hours of instrument training using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. Five hours of the 10 hours required on instrument training must be in a single engine airplane;
(ii) 10 hours of training in an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller, or is turbine-powered, or for an applicant seeking a single-engine seaplane rating, 10 hours of training in a seaplane that has flaps and a controllable pitch propeller;

Not argueing with you or saying you're wrong....I agree with you. Its just I was told otherwise reguardless of what I read and understood. We went back and forth a few times about it but I try not to argue with instructors. I guess I should have consulted another instructor. Too late anyway now....I have the rating...Hey an extra 10 hrs under the hood only hurt my wallet....

Latest resources

Back