Instrument and Commercial simultaneous training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bassman0017

Need some help here. I am in a 141 school and my training is being delayed because I have not yet competed my instrument checkride. The FARs state that training can be accomplished simultaneously so long as one checkride is done before the other.

This 141 school is part of a university. I have completed the school course for instrument and have been continuously denied to begin my commercial training. No where in the schools FAA approved Training Course Outline (TCO) does it state as a prerequisite that I must hold an instrument rating to begin training. The schools justificstion is that the courses are built so one is working towards both. I think this is where they firmly believe that I already am completing training simultaneously yet I am denied further commercial training.

As far as matriculation and the university are concerned, I have completed this and have received a letter grade.

The reason for the delay in my instrument checkride is primarily scheduling conflicts and weather. Resulting in a currency lapse for the 3-hr in 60 days rule just to be eligible to take it. This has happened twice and is going on a third. On top of my busy schedule, it is difficult to find time to study for something that should've been done almost a year ago when I have work and have other classes I need to focus on for my degree.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried jetcareers to ask your question ? They have more traffic and lots of people discussing training issues:

You are seeing the negative side of 141. When I did my training, all the 141 flights for commercial x/c needed to be done solo, and I though it was a waste. Unless I needed for regs the flight to be solo, I wanted to enjoy my flying and when on a vacation instated par 61 and finished that way. You can do 50 hours on AATD for your FAA commercial part 61. Finish your instrument rating part 141 and do the rest part 61.

Latest resources

Back