Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
ATIS was reporting 6 miles visibility. I thought, that's twice as much as VFR minimums. How bad could it be??? Well, before we even got off the ground, my instructor said he only wanted to show me this once, and added that it "gets scary" in these conditions. Still, I doubted it could really be so bad. I mean, it's VFR, no???

Man was I wrong. We leveled off at 3,000'MSL, and the windshield may as well have been painted white. There was absolutely no horizon. There were clouds and thick haze BELOW us. I couldn't see anything. Worse yet, I felt like I had little control over the airplane. The right wing kept dropping for no apparent reason, even though I thought I was holding the yoke neutral. Durring turns, major overbanking. I started to feel slighly dissoriented. I focused on the attitude indicator and tried to make corrections. Nothing felt right. It was erie...

So that was that. If my insturctor hadn't been on board, I would have probably died. What really shocked me though, was that we were still VFR. If that is VFR flight, IFR must be really tricky. It just goes to show that 6 miles really isn't anything once you're in the air. After this flight, I still cannot believe that 3 miles visibility is legal for VFR. More importantly, I walked away knowing just how easy it could be to become highly dissoriented with restricted visibility...

6 miles?! Sheeeeit. Want disorienting? Wait'll you shoot an ILS to 200 and 1/2 in snow at night, or take off with 1/2 and 001 VV.

I guess your definition of "good VFR" changes over time! :)

UnAnswerd said:
ATIS was reporting 6 miles visibility. I thought, that's twice as much as VFR minimums. How bad could it be??? Well, before we even got off the ground, my instructor said he only wanted to show me this once, and added that it "gets scary" in these conditions. Still, I doubted it could really be so bad. I mean, it's VFR, no???

Man was I wrong. We leveled off at 3,000'MSL, and the windshield may as well have been painted white. There was absolutely no horizon. There were clouds and thick haze BELOW us. I couldn't see anything. Worse yet, I felt like I had little control over the airplane. The right wing kept dropping for no apparent reason, even though I thought I was holding the yoke neutral. Durring turns, major overbanking. I started to feel slighly dissoriented. I focused on the attitude indicator and tried to make corrections. Nothing felt right. It was erie...

So that was that. If my insturctor hadn't been on board, I would have probably died. What really shocked me though, was that we were still VFR. If that is VFR flight, IFR must be really tricky. It just goes to show that 6 miles really isn't anything once you're in the air. After this flight, I still cannot believe that 3 miles visibility is legal for VFR. More importantly, I walked away knowing just how easy it could be to become highly dissoriented with restricted visibility...

Just be happy your CFI took you up in something less than clear and a million. The reason the right wing kept dropping was cause the left one kept rising and you didn't correct soon enough to keep 'um level. Its not complicated stuff man, just need to use some common sense.

cougar6903 said:
The reason the right wing kept dropping was cause the left one kept rising and you didn't correct soon enough to keep 'um level. Its not complicated stuff man, just need to use some common sense.
Thats pretty condescending...I hope you aren't a CFI. To the original poster, it sounds like you learned a lot from this that will help you to use good judgement in the future...kudos to your instructor.

Thank your instructor for taking you up in those conditions. Just don't be apprehensive about low visibility weather, as you gain experience it will become old hat. The pilots who avoid conditions like those are the ones who suffer the most when they find themselves in them inadvertently.

cougar6903 said:
Just be happy your CFI took you up in something less than clear and a million. The reason the right wing kept dropping was cause the left one kept rising and you didn't correct soon enough to keep 'um level. Its not complicated stuff man, just need to use some common sense.

You must be a hot shot pilot, I wish I could be like you...

JFK jr. ring a bell? Too bad for him, he seemed to be a descent guy.
Not like his old man, the uncles and grandpappy. I hope they rot in Helll.
Teddy to follow.

Latest resources

Back