instructor ratings Airman Fliht School

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

want2flyy

Getting my CFI/CFII at airman flight school...looking for any advise, helpful hints or suggestions from anyone that went here.. for my checkrides oral and practical, also any info on the checkpilots... any info would be appreciated..can PM if you want also...thanks

OKC and OUN training environment

The Oklahoma City area is a great place to learn how to fly and take instrument training. Probably the school has a set routine of which approaches to shoot. Some of my recollections may be a little off because I left OKC in 1988 and things change. I do remember you had at least two ILS and NDB approaches at Will Rogers, an ILS and two VOR approaches at Wiley Post, a VOR-C at Page, a localizer approach at Sundance, and a LOC 21 approach at Westheimer. Very cooperative TRACON. Try to practice them all.

If you get a chance, take a flight to Ada and try the barbecue at Bob's Barbecue. It's just a short walk from the airport. You won't regret it.

Good luck with your training.

Last edited:
Study every night and get the writtens out of the way. Don't let your instructor blow you off or postpone flights. If you don't get along with your instructor, get a new one. Just study hard, get the stuff done, and fly as often as possible. Remember what your paying and make sure to get your money's worth out of it. Ive heard of people spending alot of extra day's waiting around for check rides so get your's scheduled as soon as plausible. I can't stress enough about getting a good instructor you like and learn from.
Have fun and wecome. Living the dream man.

I would scrutinize the place very carefully BEFORE I commited to going there. There may not be anything wrong with AFS at all, but I have seen too many warning flags from that place. For example, if you do a search for airman flight school, you'll find alot of bad press about the way the place is run, often mentioned in the umpteen billion articles about the 9/11 terrorist who trained there, and the fact that so many of their students are foreign. Also, look at their guestbook on their website... Former students/CFIs talking about the planes not being quite legal, and the FAA grounding their planes, and ppl being owed money - and that almost all their students are foreigners.

There's a pretty good saying that goes "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." The prices they advertise are too low to be all-inclusive and garauntee you will get your ratings. They sayt on their website that You dont pay for hours over the minimum, or having to retake exams or check rides - just their all-inclusive price is all you have to pay to get your ratings.I'm thinking they rush pilots through it to cut costs. Or perhaps they're just unprofessional in general. What I really want to know is whether or not they want money up front.

Here's something I copied from their Guestbook:

I attended AFS in April and May of 2001 to obtain my multi-engine rating. The school had made great promises on the web-sites and several of my coworkers attended there to obtain their ATP's. The school and training I felt was sub-standard. I work in a part 135/121 operation and know how things should be done. The planes flew, but most of the time the components were not functional (I don't know if they had a legal MEL system instilled within their op specs), and on several occasions I saw planes that were flown with what would be illegal items that should have grounded the plane. On one day a FAA inspector from the OKC FSDO paid a visit to the school and the planes were grounded shortly there after. I personally would not recommend the school, the price is good, but you get what you pay for. I feel that the training I received was less than adequate. The instructors showed up late, unprepared, and overall unprofessional behavior. These instructors are looking for jobs with airlines after they get the time they need. If they were applying at my company, they wouldn't even make it past the interview.
Phil <[email protected]>
- Friday, May 10, 2002 at 18:15:22 (EDT)

Oh yeah. Bob's BBQ rocks and there is one in Norman now. It's connected to some hotel if I remember right. Maybe the Ramada? And for a place to celebrate downtown OKC is alwalys fun on Fri. Sat.

I remember trying to go visit my "friends" and the FAA headquarters? THey wouldn't let me close to the place. Gotta have special clearance or something. Actually probobly just an appointment. I don't blame em, who want's a dirty little CFI recruit hangin around asking dumb questions. There is also a cool little out door bomber museum over by the main entrance to the AFB. And a good little strip club up by Wiley.

Good press OR bad press- who cares, the only thing one should be concerned with is what you are getting out of the program. I was very pleased with the training, aircraft, and overall set up of the program. Mr. Lair (sp?) does a wondeful job during the ground school portion and Bud or Clint Buhler (sp?) will make you "earn" your ticket on the ride-

C H E E R S

3 5 0

i instructed there for a couple months while flying for The University of Oklahoma a while back and here is what I remember.

Airman's owner Jerry Carroll wants your money plain and simple.

Fleet consists of 152s, a few 172s, a warrior, and a dutchess.
The 152 are kinda made up as 1 piece breaks parts from uh(hard landings) become available.(Yes some wings are differnet colors)
Good looking no mechanically sound most of the time.
When I left the FAA was heavily watching the place. The FEDS seem to pop up every couple months.

They were going to be an authorized Cessna dealership so this might have cleaned up their mx.

The Instrument work is done in the 172

Despite rumors the 9/11 guys did not train there. They did take a visit of the place though.
Lots of foreign students. I had 8 guys from Pamama, 1 from Saudi, and 1 Stateside.

Most guys with a good head on their shoulders get through the first time. The CFI,CFII,MEI are done with a local D.E.(this might have changed) Clint, Benny Blaylock, or Louis Russel

Flying around that area is great for training. A couple ILS at OKC, NDB 3 at OUN followed by LOC 3 to full stop.

If you choose the Housing its at the University of Oklahoma in one of their older dorm towers. But you are close to Campus Corner which is the happening Thursday, Friday, Saturday(Esp game day) place. Lots of Bars, music, and food (try victoria's resturant best Italian)
Bars (Red Dirt Cafe is my favorite with all the great local music scene Cross Canadian Ragweed, The Stragglers,etc... Brothers, and the Mont where all the sorority ladies go)

(Bobs is good did you know that place was an oil wrestling and lingere show before??I heard) Try Pearls, Charlestons, hideaway pizza, Bison Witches, Coaches, and the Boarder Crossing. Or greasy Ozzies on the field at Norman and Post.

Some guys stayed at the Econo lodge or some other hotel. They have a van that can get you and the instructors were good about giving rides if needed.

There is a shop there that sells everything you need and all the crap you don't.

That about sums it up. I'll throw a plug in here for OU Aviation as well. Even though its through the University you can take the class non-credit asa well. And its top notch.

Yeah I lived there for 12 years. Now in Houston commuting to Newark, but I'm coming back soon hopefully.

Redneck as hell and can't spell

Thanks for the good first-hand info, Hagen.

You live in Houston you say? There's a place at DWH there I'm looking at going to , called American Flyers. Know anything about them?

The main reason I'm going is 'cause they don't rent aircraft, they are 100% training(that, and I can stay with my uncle in Conroe near there for free).

The renters are killing me at my current FBO. It's a question of too many aircraft, not enough planes. You wouldn't believe how bad it is. Some foreign students will spend the whole day hanging around dispatch trying to secure a/c use if something becomes open. It's POO! POO I say.

Latest resources

Back