Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShyFlyGuy

Major Member
So we're drawing closer to making a purchase, and it dawns on me... If I have a partner, am I allowed to give him dual (instruction) in that aircraft toward his private? What are the regs on instructing in an experimental aircraft?

Shy

If it's a partner; no problem (after the initial 25-40 hour phase I test period is flown off) and training for ratings okay. To instruct for hire you have to receive a special waiver from the FAA and it can be for type-specific transition training only.

So we're drawing closer to making a purchase, and it dawns on me... If I have a partner, am I allowed to give him dual (instruction) in that aircraft toward his private? What are the regs on instructing in an experimental aircraft?

Shy

An instructor may be paid for services provided in an experimental airplane, but charges can't be levied for use of the airplane. You or your student cannot rent a homebuilt for the purpose of training...

Providing transition training (which is what was mentioned above) is a special case.

Kind of offtopic, but make sure the Phase 1 test period is actually signed off in the log, not just "flown off." Some people actually don't know this, like the builder my student bought his Rans from.

What the others said is correct, but don't assume that you will be able to find someone will to administer a checkride in a homebuilt aircraft. It would be at their discretion. I'd check around first just to make sure that you could find someone willing to do so.

LS

I've got a question about giving dual in an experimental. I am wanting to buy a Wag Aero and have it on floats in the summer and wheels in the winter. Would it be possible to offer tailwheel or seaplane training in it? I see you can get a type-specific waiver from the FAA, but would this fly?

Latest resources

Back